Stax impulse response of 007 and 009.
Mar 15, 2017 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ginetto61

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello to All !

i have a curiosity.
I am looking at the response to impulse of the wonderful Stax sr-007 here below (the best HP i have ever heard for realism)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/Stax_007_graphs_all.jpg

I am not an expert but it looks connected with phase inverted ? 
I read that when a speaker is connected with the phase inverted the sound results "strange", like weak.
When i send a positive signal in i would expect a positive signal out. 
Am i missing something ?
Needless to say this is a very peculiar behaviour.  Almost all the other HPs do not invert the phase.
Why this choice ?
Thanks a lot
gino

P.S.  for me Stax are the best, lets be clear. Especially the circular ones. 
i do not like the rectangular drivers at all. 
There must be a reason why the use circular drivers for the TOTL models. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 5
I can't hear inverted phase even on speakers. If one of the channels gets inverted, you will hear but both you will not. Tested with Foobar plugin, switching fast.

Hi ! thanks a lot for the valuable advice. 
I have a cd test with an out-of-phase track and indeed it sounds strange.  For instance the soundstage gets worse.
Anyway, i see that instead other Stax models  drivers are connected in phase.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/bc/1000x1000px-LL-bce51af3_ScreenShot2014-06-13at2.44.46PM.png

and at least in some reviews someone prefers these cheaper models. They mention a better attack ? 
As a principle i like when the output signal reproduces accurately the input signal. 
I know it is a very trivial statement.
The vast majority of HPs are connected in phase.
They could have provided a phase switching option because i understand some recordings are recorded out of phase ?
Thanks again,  gino

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 5
There is no difference whether phase is inverted or not. Brain can not tell the difference if the very first swing of diaphragm was forwards or backwards (theoretically there could be difference at ultra low frequencies and ultra huge speakers). But brain goes insane if it hears inverted vibrations in one ear and normal in the other. In such resolving equipment as Stax, phase matters even less.

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 5
There is no difference whether phase is inverted or not. Brain can not tell the difference if the very first swing of diaphragm was forwards or backwards (theoretically there could be difference at ultra low frequencies and ultra huge speakers). But brain goes insane if it hears inverted vibrations in one ear and normal in the other. In such resolving equipment as Stax, phase matters even less.

Hi and thanks again.  Sorry i would like to add one experience.
I have a cd test, this one here

https://www.discogs.com/Sheffield-Lab-The-SheffieldXLO-Test-Burn-In-CD/release/5988794

there is a comparison between the in phase and out of phase recording of the speaker voice.  
While the in phase track the voice comes clearly from between the two speakers L and R in the out of phase version the voice seems to come from all around.
There is no sound image to speak about in the out of phase track.  A very confusing experience. 
Thanks again,   gino 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back