static ip add help
Aug 20, 2007 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
I wanted to forward my ports on the router to get better bit torrent download speeds on utorrent. However, I was required to get a ip static add to forwards those ports too.

I called my ISP and they replied that they do not support static ip for security purposes. Does this mean I cannot forward my ports now?

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 14
Start Menu -> Run -> CMD.

Once in CMD, type ipconfig - The IP address listed is your local IP.

That's the address your router should forward the ports on.

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 14
But im told by the port forward guide i need a static ip add or else forwarding the ports will have no meaning.

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But im told by the port forward guide i need a static ip add or else forwarding the ports will have no meaning.

That's nonsense. You just usually need an unchanging IP behind your router. All this is a matter of configuring your router.

If you need a fixed address for some other purpose, use a service like DynDns.

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 14
http://portforward.com

Google is your friend

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Wodgy is right though. The router just needs a know good IP address.
Unless you turn off / reboot your PC its IP address shouldn't change.
Some routers can be set to always give the same IP address to the same device.

Can you ensure the machine the BT client runs on always has the same IP address, otherwise you'll have to update the address in the port forwarding on the router, every time the clients address changes. Oh the joys of NAT, roll on IPv6.

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 14
You can configure a static IP address on your device, and exclude that particular address on the DHCP server on the router to prevent duplication. However, that's just the CE end.

If your WAN interface uses dynamic address, and the application requires a static address on the WAN interface, then you're at the mercy of the provider. When your router reboot, you hope that you get the same address again. Otherwise, you have to remap your forwarding configuration again whenever you reboot your router, or when your WAN session renew.

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 14
You are confuse between Lan IP(home network) and Wan IP(internet)

When you connect your computer to a router the router will give it an Lan IP

Here an image to illustrate the concept
PortForwarding.gif

You Local IP need to be static (ie in the example above your computer must always be 192.168.0.1 **Altho in real life 192.168.0.1 is usually reserve for the router itself)

So each time the router receive a package to port 6881 he send it to 192.168.0.1 (that what your port forwarding has been set to in this example) So you need your computer to always be 192.168.0.1

if for example you disconnect your computer A from the router. You connect a computer B. If you didn't set your router for specific static IP the router may assign 192.168.0.1 to computer B since it's the first available.

When you reconnect computer A to your router, it may assign 192.168.0.2 to computer A. Now your torrent software is on computer A but your router is sending 6881 package to 192.168.0.1 (computer B) which is the wrong computer.

In the example above the IP provide by the ISP is 219.202.89.4 this IP can be dynamic it does not affect port forwarding that why you can't call your ISP to ask for static IP it will not change anything to your port forwarding scheme

Now you local IP need to be static. Meaning that 192.168.0.1 should always point to your computer.

How to set it up can depend on the router model so consult the router mfg website or user manual. Or tell us what the specific model of your router and we may help you further

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks alot. for some reason my ports are forwarded right now without me doing anything. Ummmmmmmm

Another question about ISPs. There has been several small independent ISPs around that promotes faster speed and lower price than rogers and bell (the 2 biggest ISPs in toronto)

Are they worth a try?

And to set up an static IP, dont i have to know the DNS server? under ipconfig /all my DNS server is the same as my default gateway, which should not be the case.

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How to set it up can depend on the router model so consult the router mfg website or user manual. Or tell us what the specific model of your router and we may help you further

Can you guys help me out maybe, I am trying to do the same thing, I would like my router just to assign the same ip to my laptop everytime I connect, the router is a RCA dcw725.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you guys help me out maybe, I am trying to do the same thing, I would like my router just to assign the same ip to my laptop everytime I connect, the router is a RCA dcw725.

Seems like this is becoming more difficult than it really is. To the OP: You do not need a physical static ip address other than what the ISP gives for your modem. Every home Local Area Network (LAN) has 3 sets of private ips you can use as static Internal address which will then be forwarded to the router:

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

You can use dynamic ips, but a static is not prone address duplication. See below for a further description.

ANYONE behind a router can use these private ip addresses. So, the house next to me can use 192.168.1.101, the house behind me can use 192.168.1.101 and even i can use 192.168.1.101 with no conflicts. The only catch is, these ips cannot be broadcast over the Internet. Your private IP will be forwarded to the gateway or router, which then removes the private ip from the source field and replaces it with the modems ip. Otherwise, if this didnt happen there would be a bunch of black-holing going on - in otherwords the packet would be dropped at the first hop (router).

Arnold - In order for you to set your laptop with the same address everytime, you need to go to your control panel and right click on your wireless icon or whatever your connection is (wireless, wired etc) and select properties.

You can also save steps by right cilcking in your system tray on the connection icon and selecting properties. Under the general tab select internet protocol.

Tick the Use the following IP Address and enter in one of the three ranges of IPs i listed above. I use myself 192.168.1.139. I know .139 would never be used on my 4 person network. 192.168.1.100-103 would be if i was still using dynamic. So, we know no conflicts will occur.

You may need to enter in your DNS servers as well. If you lose internet connection you know this is why. In the start menu --->Run, type cmd. When you are prompted with the dos screen type, ip config /all and note your DNS address. Enter 2 of the 3 into your Preferred and Alernate. Hit ok and you should have internet access again.

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks alot. for some reason my ports are forwarded right now without me doing anything. Ummmmmmmm

Another question about ISPs. There has been several small independent ISPs around that promotes faster speed and lower price than rogers and bell (the 2 biggest ISPs in toronto)

Are they worth a try?

And to set up an static IP, dont i have to know the DNS server? under ipconfig /all my DNS server is the same as my default gateway, which should not be the case.

this is ok. I would assume alot of companies do this. I just checked my works ip config and their dns (1 of them) is the same as the gateway. It's probably a server running multiple tasks in their case. Ive had your issue once before and it seemed to be ok.

It could be worth a try. They may have more outtages and slower to fix them, whereas with big companies you know someone is going to call in an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back