Starting Build/Design Choosing Drivers
Feb 19, 2015 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Mik James

Head-Fier
Hello Folks,

First off I got off to a bit of a bad start on the forums with a previous thread and I apologize for that.
Moving onto the task at hand, I believe a lot of what goes into the cost of a good set of headphones is the design/engineering and I also believe a lot of this information aside from the cutting edge is available to the average joe, as sound technology doesn't appear to be moving all that fast over the years.

This brings me  to my diy headphone design and finding the right drivers for the most cost effective build possible.
Small 10$ 3-6cm full range drivers (Hivi pops to mind) are readily available, and I'm and curious if they may offer better sound/lower distortion than what one would normally find in a budget set of headphones
However these do not appear to be the same style of drivers used in most headphone designs, perhaps because the bass would be overpowering unless the headphone was a very open design.

So the basis of my questions are: 
What driver type do higher end headphones use and why?
Are drivers designed for headphone builds as readily available to purchase separately as traditional speaker drivers?

Thanks in advance. 

EDIT: I opened up a set of Beyer Dynamic Dtx 710's and the drivers appear to be a very non rigid cone design with a vented magnet and a spiral design on the cone. I'm not familiar with this type of driver and i'll love to know more about why this design would be used in a headphone rather than a typical rigid cone driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back