Sr-125's
Sep 18, 2002 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dkm24

Head-Fier
I just got the new issue of Stereophile magazine. It list the Sr-125's in it's recommended list of components. I have noticed since they are on THE list now that my 125's sound much better. The RS1's got dropped off, I guess because they haven't heard them in a while. They said the 125's are the best bang for the buck in the Grado lineup. I tend to agree. doug

Sep 18, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 6
I can never understand why Stereophile deletes something from Recommended Components list because it has not been "auditioned in a long time". If it still sounds as good or better that the others in the list, why is it not still there?

That's like saying "Well I haven't listened to Sgt. Pepper in 5 years so I can't recommend it anymore"

If Sennheiser and Grado never upgrade the HD600 and RS-1, do I assume Stereophile will drop both?

Am I missing something?

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
I can never understand why Stereophile deletes something from Recommended Components list because it has not been "auditioned in a long time". If it still sounds as good or better that the others in the list, why is it not still there?

That's like saying "Well I haven't listened to Sgt. Pepper in 5 years so I can't recommend it anymore"

If Sennheiser and Grado never upgrade the HD600 and RS-1, do I assume Stereophile will drop both?

Am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything--I agree completely. Because something is new, does that mean that it sounds better than something you haven't heard in a while? How can you tell unless you listen to it again? You would think it would be easier to listen to a component again than to drop it off the list.

The only way I can agree with this is when a component is no longer made. However, maybe they should have a special section called "great sounding components that we once (and may still) love but they're not made anymore."

BTW--I love the Sgt. Pepper analogy. I myself haven't listened to it in about six or seven years, so I guess that I don't like it anymore. . . .

Sep 18, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 6
I think the reviewers of these mags carry way too much weight. Point being is the Optimus 3400 portable. I think Sam Tellig reviewed it. I have listened to my share of good portables and I think the 3400 is a notch less than the high end Sony's of the time. What made the 3400 fascinating is the eq settings. These eq settings gave the impression of spaciousness and such. Basically all the things audiophiles like. I have an Aiwa shelf system that does all those thing but is by no means audiophile grade. The 3400 was in a lot of high end systems in the mid 90's. They said that portable could compete with cd players worth thousands of dollars....HOW? I think Sam was a little fooled by the eq settings but none the less that player is still sought after just because one person deemed it to have audiophile sound. But I do have a subscription to Stereophile, so what does that say about me. doug

Sep 19, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 6
dkm: I think what stereophile really loved was using the 3400 as a transport, since it had a coax digital out. I can't comment, since I haven't heard it. But I agree with you guys: even though they haven't heard it in a while, they shouldn't take it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back