Splitting RCA jack signal
Jul 30, 2021 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

CADCAM

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a DAC (Maverick Audio D2) that has two RCA outputs, one SS and the other tube. It works great because you can feed two different headphone amps from the same DAC.
I have a situation where I want to split the RCA jack signal coming out of just the SS output of the D2 to feed two tube headphone amps a Little Dot MKIII and a Monoprice Monolith. I do not want to feed the tube amps with the tube output from the DAC.
Can I use a pair of high quality RCA splitters to split the signal? The two amps I'm feeding will probably never be on at the same time if that helps the situation. What if any are the negatives?

thanks~

Jul 30, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 2
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't run into any problems if the splitter you get is functioning properly especially because you don't plan to use both amps at the same time.
I think the only problem you could have is that the DAC output expects a "high impedance" input which just means that it expects the amplifier to draw very little current. If you splitted the signal 2 ways and used both amps at the same time, you would effectively half the impedance the output of the DAC sees (well, it would see the two input impedances in parallel to be exact) and double the current drawn. I'm also pretty sure it could drive two amps at the same time anyways, but the more ways you split the signal the more likely the DAC would eventually run out of current and wouldn't be able to drive the amplifiers well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back