Speakers for my PC setup
Oct 1, 2021 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

phaetos42

New Head-Fier
Honestly wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Recommendations sub-forum.

Over there, I've gotten good suggestions on some IEM's I'm gonna get, and I plan on getting a Schiit Modi/Magni stack for my audio. I currently use a Logitech Z**3 2.1 speaker setup. It's ancient, like 10 yrs or something and beginning to exhibit some odd issues. As I am upgrading my audio, the speakers need an update as well. The outputs on the Schiit stack will be RCA.

I don't know if I need powered speakers(and use the Schiit stack as a pre-amp) or passive for this setup. I just want a small set of speakers with good clear sound that doesn't have to be wall shaking bass, just something nice clear and full.

What should I be looking at? Let's put a budget of $100 on the set, is that possible?

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 10
Got some Creative T40 for my son, and for the price, I like them!

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 10
I had them on my Windows PC for some weeks, via several USB DACs (mainly ifi Nano iDSD Black Label).
My son has them connected direct to his gaming laptop, wich has a sound card that is not completely bad... but my advice would be to not connect any headphones or speakers directly to the 3,5mm out of the PC, as most (all?) of them have very bad sound cards. Any cheap USB DAC will be much better.

Oct 2, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 10
I had them on my Windows PC for some weeks, via several USB DACs (mainly ifi Nano iDSD Black Label).
My son has them connected direct to his gaming laptop, wich has a sound card that is not completely bad... but my advice would be to not connect any headphones or speakers directly to the 3,5mm out of the PC, as most (all?) of them have very bad sound cards. Any cheap USB DAC will be much better.
Right, I meant do they connect with 3.5mm or something else?

Oct 2, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 10
They have RCA cable and 3,5mm adapter. See here.

EDIT: they have a 3,5mm input and the included RCA-RCA cable uses an adapter.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 10
No. It connect in the back. In the front you have a second input that you can connect your phone, DAP or other device, and it takes precedent over the other one.

Oct 5, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 10
Can you fit a set of Pioneer DM40's on your desk? I was using them for a while, they're great for music and general internet browsing / media.

Good at clean clear spoken word such as youtube videos.

If you have the space you'll always get better sound using studio monitors over products marketed as computer speakers.

Oct 5, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #10 of 10
Can you fit a set of Pioneer DM40's on your desk? I was using them for a while, they're great for music and general internet browsing / media.

Good at clean clear spoken word such as youtube videos.

If you have the space you'll always get better sound using studio monitors over products marketed as computer speakers.
Fitment will depend on how I re-arrange my desk when I get a new one :xf_cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back