Speakers for my audio system
Sep 13, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #16 of 18
hI,

oK so I bought some Dali Concept 8's, not exactly high end, but I managed to get them brand new at quite a bargain.

Im going to run my squeezebox to my dac magic, to an amp and then to the speakers (to begin with),

I was just thinking of getting a power amp with balanced input (even a PA amp) looking for amps is difficult, im on a set budget and the only amps with balanced input are cambrige and pa amps, I am low in my budget also, only being able to gork out 400US. but that doesnt worry me too much.

Im just not sure about impedance imbalance (will a good preamp fix this?) as well as whether there are certain amps which will work better with my concept 8's.. they are rated at 8 ohms..not sure what i really end up with ... between 6-8 id assume.

Can you guys lend me your skill?

Brands of low price amps with blanaced input
Impedance impblaance?
Pre amp or not?
concept 8's power rating is 165 watts

I appreciate all of your help!!

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #17 of 18
DALI speakers and products. Find the best loudspeakers in the world

6 Ohm
90dB Sensitivity

So easy to drive, high sensitivity. Any good 50W+ amplifier with decent current delivery will be fine. You either need a stereo integrated amplifier, or a stereo pre-amplifier with a 2 channel poweramp. Or 2 x 2 channel poweramps if you want to bi-amp, and the speakers have bi-wire terminals. You don't need a 160W poweramp.

I use amplifiers between 60W to 100W. A few have lower sensivitity 87dB so require more power, others lower impedance (2.2ohm-4ohm) which require amps with stable current on these loads.

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #18 of 18
I recently auditioned the Dali Mentor 6 and was quite impressed. We auditioned them against the Dynaudio Focus 220, and I thought the Dalis were in a different league -- and I generally like Dynaudio speakers.

I wouldn't worry too much about using the balanced outputs, but that's just me. Also, fair warning -- some amps with balanced inputs don't actually have balanced circuitry inside. Restricting yourself to balanced amps at $400 is going to be pretty limiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back