Speakers for bedroom dj
Jul 17, 2003 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vandit

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys...

i know this is a head-fi forum but i dunno any speaker forums so ill post here
smily_headphones1.gif

what are some really great soundin speakers to use with my pioneer djm500 + 2x technics mk3d TT's.

any amps i would need?

im talking more about monitors here... some super monitors
smily_headphones1.gif

thx thx thx
280smile.gif
280smile.gif

Jul 18, 2003 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 11
If you call Green Mountain direct, you can get their Europa for 550 plus shipping. I know it is a little over your budget but these are supposed to be phenominal for their price. I have a brand new pair in my trunk right now and am just waiting to get off work so I hook them up. I will let you know how they sound out of the box and again after 100 hrs of breakin or so. Of course, there is a ton of other moniters to choose from and I'm sure some other Headfiers will chime in on their recomendations.

Jul 19, 2003 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Is this strictly for DJ purposes? If it is just go to Best Buy, and get some big ass Cerwin Vegas.

yea but im more of a bedroom dj...

quality is a must.. i want beautiful sound
smily_headphones1.gif

i dont want just volume but i want tight, virgin, sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2003 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
If you call Green Mountain direct, you can get their Europa for 550 plus shipping. I know it is a little over your budget but these are supposed to be phenominal for their price. I have a brand new pair in my trunk right now and am just waiting to get off work so I hook them up. I will let you know how they sound out of the box and again after 100 hrs of breakin or so. Of course, there is a ton of other moniters to choose from and I'm sure some other Headfiers will chime in on their recomendations.

yea a quick review on that would be great? would i need an amp to run those speakers?

sorry if this is a newbie question
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2003 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by vandit
yea a quick review on that would be great? would i need an amp to run those speakers?

sorry if this is a newbie question
smily_headphones1.gif

I have had the Europas running for about 5 hours now. A couple of things. First, they are not the prettiest speakers in the world. I do not think they look to bad in my room, but when my wife gets home on Sunday, she might have some other thoughts. I'll just keep my fingers crossed on that. The breakin period on these speakers is about 200 hrs so i'm not sure how much they are going to change from what I am hearing now. I hope it is a lot. Right now they are not jaw dropping awsome as so many Europa owners describe them to be and I do not see any way they can blow away 5 and 6 thousand dollar speakers like Von Schweikert VR-4s or Dynaudio Contour 3.4s like the designer claims. One thing I can tell right away, these speakers are highly musical and emotional invloving. However, they are a little different to what I am use to which is The American Accoustic Development E-48s which were in my room before the Europas. The AADs are very detailed with some slam to go with it, but they were not very involving if you will and were fatiguing too. They Europas do have good detail, just not the hyper detail of the AADs. Finally, the Europas are not doing a very good job of imaging. You can tell the sound is coming right from the speakers. To answer your question, the Europas are supposed to work well with most electoncis, they are not picky. I am running mine on a Rotel 1065 reciever. If you have a reciever or an amp that can do 100 watts, you should be fine. I will move them to my main system where I have better components like the ASL Twin Head MK II for a preamp and an Anthem MCA 2 for a power amp to see how they do.

Jul 21, 2003 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
I have had the Europas running for about 5 hours now. A couple of things. First, they are not the prettiest speakers in the world. I do not think they look to bad in my room, but when my wife gets home on Sunday, she might have some other thoughts. I'll just keep my fingers crossed on that. The breakin period on these speakers is about 200 hrs so i'm not sure how much they are going to change from what I am hearing now. I hope it is a lot. Right now they are not jaw dropping awsome as so many Europa owners describe them to be and I do not see any way they can blow away 5 and 6 thousand dollar speakers like Von Schweikert VR-4s or Dynaudio Contour 3.4s like the designer claims. One thing I can tell right away, these speakers are highly musical and emotional invloving. However, they are a little different to what I am use to which is The American Accoustic Development E-48s which were in my room before the Europas. The AADs are very detailed with some slam to go with it, but they were not very involving if you will and were fatiguing too. They Europas do have good detail, just not the hyper detail of the AADs. Finally, the Europas are not doing a very good job of imaging. You can tell the sound is coming right from the speakers. To answer your question, the Europas are supposed to work well with most electoncis, they are not picky. I am running mine on a Rotel 1065 reciever. If you have a reciever or an amp that can do 100 watts, you should be fine. I will move them to my main system where I have better components like the ASL Twin Head MK II for a preamp and an Anthem MCA 2 for a power amp to see how they do.

do you have a website where i can see these speakers?

Jul 21, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 11
There website is supposed to be up in about one week or so. The Europas have about 15 hours. I have conversed with other Europa owners and they said these speakers really really come alive at about the 500 hour point. We will see, but I have notice quite a bit a difference just between the 10 and 15 hour point. These speaker are very enjoyable. I will post in more details as time goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back