Source upgrade for MS-2
Dec 6, 2004 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Enverxis

Headphoneus Supremus
Ive got a nice fat payslip coming in on wednesday and Im not just yet satisfied with the sound coming out of my setup : Creative Audigy LS => "Dick Smiths" 2RCA to Mini => JVC A-K100 => Alessandro MS-2.
I will be replacing the JVC A-K100 with a dedicated Creek OBH-11SE at Christmas time, have it sitting away, cant use it because i still have to buy a voltage transformer.
Im looking for a good sound card that will provide a cleaner sound, Ive had my eyes on the Chaintech AV-710 for quite some time, ive heard it is a good neutral source.

Just wondering what a Chaintech AV-170 => Creek OBH-11SE => Alessandro MS-2 would sound like (even hypothetically).
Would it be worth just going for the EMU 0404 or 1212M as opposed to the AV-710.

Im after less distortion in the mids (really noticeable in the White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000, Kittie - Spit and Iron Maiden - Beast Over Hammersmith albums) and just overall clean, crisp and awesome sound.

Dec 7, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 4
The difference between the 0404 and AV-710 is day and night. Much more detail, supposedly great synergy with Grado/Alessandro cans, and IMHO much better mids (especially vocals & guitars). Go for the 0404 if you can afford it, I don't think you'll regret it.

Dec 7, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 4
sort of not an even comparo since i'm currently using 0404 to solo to SR200. but the 0404 does right by my grado, and "More Human Than Human" comes out as clear as a bell. Not clean tho - after all Rob wants it grungy. But it's high fidelity grunge if that makes sense lol.

Dec 7, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 4
It does make sense, I know because there is no setup I know that can clean up that album
biggrin.gif

Ive gone for the 1212M secondhand, in Aus it retails for double the price of what i can get it for here, so why not
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back