Source options for Ultra Micro Dac.
Oct 31, 2009 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

markmaxx

1000+ Head-Fier
I just bought a used Ultra micro stack from a friend, (it should be here Monday)

I was going to use it with my Laptop PC. from the USB port like my Total bithead. But.

I have read a little about sourcing Dac's and it seems the USB port may not be the ultimate source.

What are the other options? ie. Apple has an optical out on there laptops?

Portable DVD with optical out?

The Wada I Pod (thing that can take the digital signal from the I Pod before it goes through the internal dac of the I Pod)

More info please. Thanks in advance.

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 9
I currently use the optical out from my iMac and continue to do so since I have the optical cable. I've done some reading around, some of it on Head-Fi, and I'm beginning to get the impression that using USB as a digital source isn't really inferior to other options.

I have a Wadia iTransport and the main claim to its fame is that it will allow you to get a digital signal from your iPod, i.e., the digital feed before it passes through any of the iPod's analog conversion circuitry. The iTransport's digital output is coaxial only.

So my advice would be that USB should be fine. Just be sure to get a shielded cable since the unshielded ones are interference prone. I've experienced said interference.

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 9
Coaxial, because it's specked at 75 Ohms, so one usually uses a coaxial cable to transmit it, but it usually has an RCA connector.

USB is really pretty good. Sure there's lots of yabber about jitter and adaptive, blah, blah, blah. For the most part, contemporary chip sets get rid of most of the jitter, and USB sounds pretty darned good.

Bottom line, when you say "it seems the USB port may not be the ultimate source" that's true, but it's really only a worry if you're building an "ultimate" system, which is really beyong the scope of what the Micros are. They're good, Ultra good, but not "ultimate" good.

I'd say keep using the USB, and if you want better start downloading high rez flac files from HD Tracks and use the m-Audio transit or better the Bel Canto USB->digital out devices for 96/24 playback.

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks Tyll!
regular_smile .gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 9
I agree with Tyll. I've only used usb with my ultra micro stack and it works great with my laptop.

Tyll, what is the main difference between the Bel Canto and the m-Audio transit except for the 400 dollar greater price tag? I read through some of the reviews, and I'm not sure why you suggest that the Bel Canto would be preferable, in combination with the ultra micro stack, to the m-audio transit. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,.

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 9
The M-Audio transit does not have a built in driver, you have to install one on the computer and then manually change bit-rates on it whenever a track changes. Also the Belcanto does a bit better job of jitter reduction, so it's a nice unit if you've got the expendable income.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Tyll, I bought the ultra micro stack from my friend vpivinylspinner ( Jeff ) He won the Ultra micro Dac. at Can Jam LA. (from Headroom) I was with him when he bought the Ultra micro amp. After a quick listen through the new HD 800. He and I were impressed for sure!!! Question:.. what was the source at Can Jam LA. for the Ultra micro stack.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll, I bought the ultra micro stack from my friend vpivinylspinner ( Jeff ) He won the Ultra micro Dac. at Can Jam LA. (from Headroom) I was with him when he bought the Ultra micro amp. After a quick listen through the new HD 800. He and I were impressed for sure!!! Question:.. what was the source at Can Jam LA. for the Ultra micro stack.

Well, they're not ultimate, but they're no slouch either, that's for sure.

We used some cheapy Toshiba (less than $100) DVD players with digital outs. It really is amazing how well good DAC chips reject jitter.
nod.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back