source components needed
Jun 20, 2002 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ray4jc

100+ Head-Fier
so i've got some HD600's.....a clou red....a portable player.....a decent amp...(possibly a new one soon).....

now....i am thinking about getting something to use with my HD600's besides my pc.....

any suggestions on where to start.....

a receiver...cd player...

ebay has alot of nad products.....

any suggestions...thanks....

ray

Jun 20, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 13
Turntable!

I just upgraded and can let you have my old one for cheap. Or if you want to spend more you can have a nice, new MMF 2 for under 300 from www.audioadvisor.com or a similar site.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I also just saw a post from someone (don't remember who, sorry) with a Sota Star F/S soon. (Search Sota Star if you're interested..)
smily_headphones1.gif
evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I think www.redtrumpet.com currently has the best price on the mmf2: 259! And I saw the new MMF 1 for 199.

Jun 20, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 13
That's easy. Ebay, local used record shops, relatives, friends, neighbors, garage sales, goodwill, there are lots of opportunities.
Check out your yellow pages for record stores.

Jun 21, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 13
I love my records. Have been back into them for a couple of years. But look at the selection of music in CD's. I vote for CD player. Get one in the $500-$1000 range. CD player only, not recorder. Rotel, Arcam, Rega, many of the good ones out there.
And of course, a good interconnect. Receiver?? Why? To receive crummy FM broadcasts?????? Look for good used amps/components.

If you can't afford an expensive player, get a mediocre one and get some CD's/library. Or get an MP3/jukebox and encode at high quality bitrates and borrow CD's from the library and friends.
Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox 3 is out now. The First one 6gb in size has a good line out. You can store borrowed CD's on Computer and then MP3/CD's and the jukebox. PC's can crash and you lose all your music. So can MP3 jukeboxes. Backup everything on CD's.

Jun 21, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 13
fredpb..thanks for the reply

i was looking into cd players....

i found some nice looking nad units on ebay....

right now i don't want to spend over a few hundred on a component....

and i've got lots of cd's ....dont listen to many of them though....

i do listen to alot of mp3s...and ripped cd's.....from my pc...thats y i want to get something else lol.....

ray
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by ray4jc
fredpb..thanks for the reply

i was looking into cd players....

i found some nice looking nad units on ebay....

right now i don't want to spend over a few hundred on a component....

and i've got lots of cd's ....dont listen to many of them though....

i do listen to alot of mp3s...and ripped cd's.....from my pc...thats y i want to get something else lol.....

ray
smily_headphones1.gif

Shameless plug for the Toshiba SD-2109...

If you can find it this thing does a pretty good job as a CDP though it's original intent was a DVD player.

It *used* to be my main DVDP but I yanked it when I discovered how good it sounds and put a Sony in it's place on the TV rig and the Toshiba now is used exclusivly as a CDP.

These things can probably be had pretty cheap.

Another really strong possibility is to look into the Sony NS-500V ir whatever it is. This is a recently discontinued model that can be had for a steal where you can find them. It's an SACD player that does redbook pretty well.

I'd avoid vinyl unless you like the sound of popping and hissing. Even if you do enjoy those sounds, I suggest getting a girlfriend. :wink: I've just find vinyl to be a big pain in the ass and way too much work.

Yet another option... Continue using the computer and upgrade the soundcard. Check into M-Audio's cards as they are pretty decent and not a whole lot of green (considering what your getting). I think this is the route I would go but I'd have a hard time passing-up one of those Sony's if I ran into one.

Jun 21, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 13
u know nezer....i think my sister has that toshiba...it came free with my dad's big screen.....

just curious....do you run the toshiba to your amp?? or how did u hook it up...

oh and a quick look on ebay...about...$50....

how much is a steal on the sony????

thanks
ray

Jun 21, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

u know nezer....i think my sister has that toshiba...it came free with my dad's big screen.....

just curious....do you run the toshiba to your amp?? or how did u hook it up...

oh and a quick look on ebay...about...$50....

how much is a steal on the sony????

thanks
ray

$50 for the 2109?!?! Get it! I think you'll like it. For $50 if you don't I'll buy it from you. :wink:

The Sony can be had for arpund $170 which is a steal considering what your getting. Plus it has some modding potential. Although I haven't heard it I doubt it would sond 3-4x better than the Toshiba if all you really are intrested in is redbook audio.

One caveat, the Toshiba does NOT read CDRs. I don't know if that's important to you or not. It is to me so I'm in the market for another source (most likely a sound card / external hi-fi DAC or Cary CDP). It does, however, seem to read CDRWs but can have some issues at times even with these.

I have the Toshiba's line outs run into the Analoguer and from there into the Corda. Right now I'm using crappy marginal ICs (Monster, Audio Research) but have some Outlaws on the way from the group buy.

Jun 21, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

hmmmm a turntable would probably be a good investement...only...i don't have any LP's.....
ray
smily_headphones1.gif

Ray, if you ever do get the bug to join Team Vinyl, I'll help you find plenty of software as we have similar tastes in artists. I typically pay less than $2 per title.

Jun 21, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 13
I've got over 200Lps (close to 500 lps total). If you're ever passing through AR, look me up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back