Soundstorm dead?
Dec 3, 2004 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Necroist

100+ Head-Fier
So i was fixing my Firewire extension onto my NF7-S motherboard while my PC is live and playing some music.

Out of no where,my sound is shut off.

I rebooted my pc, no sound comes out. Removed drivers and reinstalled them, same thing.

The strangest thing is, when I put a CD into my DVDROM drive and press the "play" button on the drivebay itself, there is sound coming out (although its very distorted).

If I connect my headphones via the jack on the dvdrom drive bay, it sound perfectly normal.

Is my soundstorm dead or did I do something wrong?

Dec 3, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 7
Generally motherboard things aren't plug and play so I'm not so sure that was a great idea. Shoulda turned off the PC first IMO, but I don't know if that caused things to mess up.

Dec 3, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 7
"firewire extension" ? You don't mean a PCI card do you? If you were installing a PCI card while your computer was on you are lucky if you didn't toast anything else. Otherwise, I would guess you touched the motherboard and gave it a static shock that damaged the sound chip. You are lucky nothing worse happened if that is the case. Anytime you are working on the motherboard, the computer should be off, unplugged and you should ground yourself. God forbid you try installing internal hardware with the computer running - that's a cardinal sin. (But we'll forgive you this time
tongue.gif
)

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 7
I'd try removing the Firewire port and Nvidia Soundstorm devices under "Device Manager", reboot and let XP reinstall them automatically. Other than that, I'd say you made a grave mistake by plugging your stuff into the M/B with the system running. All kinds of bad things can happen when you do that.

Dec 5, 2004 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
I'd try removing the Firewire port and Nvidia Soundstorm devices under "Device Manager", reboot and let XP reinstall them automatically. Other than that, I'd say you made a grave mistake by plugging your stuff into the M/B with the system running. All kinds of bad things can happen when you do that.

I tried that, it didn't work.

To the poster above, its not a PCI card, its kinda like those extention USB jacks that comes with the motherboard. You have to plug one end directly to the motherboard.

Yeah I made a bad mistake. The lazy me is too lazy to power down my PC. It won't happen again.

So now I'm looking for a new card.

If a 2nd hand Audigy DE is like $20 cheaper than a Chaintech AV710, which one should I get?

Dec 5, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 7
Depends on what you want to do bro. Games, just stick with an Audigy iteration. Music, AV-710 is a decent choice. Both, pick up both of them. 2 sound cards is not as much of a novelty as it used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back