Soundstage and IEM Theory
Nov 14, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebhuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dude i really don't enjoy the I.B.
frown.gif

Of course not :p tok is the worse class known to man kind :p but our school has dropped pretty much all of our ap course and we are full ib so if you want to take harder classes that is the only option

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Emotion and sense perception eh? Quite the TOK disciple you are :p. This could be an interesting EE if you can figure out how to qualitatively measure something as subjective as soundstage as well as how to adjust nozzle diameter.

But again, idk how much diffraction there will truly be. I would've thought a small diameter would do the trick as sounds would be forced to ricochet off the ear canal more than with the IE8 (from which the sound can leave in a more linear fashion owing to the larger diameter).

Personally, I thought the soundstage had something to do with the resonance within the IE8s bulky chamber itself.

Yeah, a few months back, I was wondering if I should do the EE on Bose's Marketing etc.
still I decided to go with a more usual topic.
However I am going to do my TOK presentation on the colouration of sound next friday. Its going to be quite intense.
dt880smile.png

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebhuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, a few months back, I was wondering if I should do the EE on Bose's Marketing etc.
still I decided to go with a more usual topic.
However I am going to do my TOK presentation on the colouration of sound next friday. Its going to be quite intense.
dt880smile.png

Oh nice. Good luck with that presentation and really don't get lost with the audiophile aspects. Keep focusing on them ways of knowing.

I did mine a few months ago on whether we're doomed
very_evil_smiley.gif
as a civilisation

Come to think of it, that is a really good topic for a TOK presentation. I'm jealous

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha it seems like we have a little ib club going on here. Man tok is over in a couple months for me and I can't wait :p

I'm finishing up my TOK essay in a couple of weeks then its free periods monday morning for me
biggrin.gif
. SLEEEEEP

What subjects u guys doing?

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well we just finished our oral presentations and now we are going to be doing our papers soon. We did our ee's last year. What science are you taking?

I finished my orals quite a while back. My exam's in May but will be a different one from your's I believe. Different time zone. EEs we just finished a month and a half ago.

Doing higher chem/bio/math and standard span b/eng/history.

Yea... the science package pretty much.
beerchug.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #25 of 26
Hey thats awesome to find fellow IB students here on head-fi
A1 german SL, A2 english HL, maths SL, economics HL, physics SL, computer science HL
just finished my EE and just planning my tok essay on title 7 (if you have the same ones).

Nov 15, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #26 of 26
Hello Sebhuber,

Diffraction is wider when the diameter of the hole is smaller, but all audio frequecies are diffracted when the diameter is 1 cm or smaller. From a 90° angle, a 17 kHz frequency shows one alternance of its wave through a 1 cm gap. This is not enough to cancel the diffraction. Lower frequencies are even less canceled, and smaller diameters cancel less also.
So any IEM will diffract all frequencies through its output.

Reflexions may take part in the soundstage, but the distances involved with IEM seem extremely small. Floyd Toole shows soundstage effects occuring with reflexions delayed by several ms to several tens of ms. The delays of the reflexions in such small spaces are at least ten times shorter, and Toole's detection curves start to fall down below 8 ms. Therefore the effect of reflections in IEMs must be small. I don't know if it is null, though.

The frequency response may be a bigger factor for soundstage. It can be affected by the diameter of the IEM, I suppose. I would think that if the diameter affects soundstage, it would be through frequency response. But that's just a guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back