Soundcard vs. Soundcard + external DAC
Jul 18, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #76 of 83
You're now straddling the fence between the two source forums, Peter.
very_evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Jul 18, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #77 of 83
Damn you guys. I was just getting used to being "Wowed" by my E-MU, figuring there was nothing that could touch it in my price range... and now you're telling me that I'm only a couple paychecks away from a whole other level of sound quality.

I hate this place.

Jul 18, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #78 of 83
Skarecrow, the benchmark isn't in the same price range.
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #79 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ted_b
Motherboards with spdif outs (i.e onboard audio) are an interesting option but they STILL need to bypass the damn Windows mixer or the sound is no where NEAR bit-perfect.

That is, if you use Winbloze at all. Cards which are capable of bit-perfectness at a given sampling rate will be with ALSA (advanced linux sound architecture). Which is a half answer for kODOMA. The other half of the question being whether the chaintech is Linux compatible at all. I don't know the answer to that, but you should be able to find out at alsa-project.org.

Jul 18, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #80 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Skarecrow, the benchmark isn't in the same price range.
wink.gif

Yeah, it's not in my price range, but neither were the HD650s or the perreaux when I first started. My price range keeps getting bigger to accommodate what I really want. Unfortunatly, my paycheck won't do the same. I gotta figure that's a common problem around here, haha.

Jul 18, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #81 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
Yeah, it's not in my price range, but neither were the HD650s or the perreaux when I first started. My price range keeps getting bigger to accommodate what I really want. Unfortunatly, my paycheck won't do the same. I gotta figure that's a common problem around here, haha.

I know the feeling. I started out with a $80 source (GTXP) and $120 cans (HD590). Look at me now, heh.

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #83 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
It works!
I've just borrowed a 1 meter( 3 feet) 240$ Toslink cable and tested it against a cheap 10 meter (33 feet) cable (25 $).
No audible difference.
To my ears, indeed.

I like the manual of Benchmark DAC a lot. It has a lot of measurement geaphs made with Audio Precision equipment. For example, it shows that using 100 ft of Belkin bulk cable to increase jitter does not produce any jitter-related artifacts. It also shows that its headphone output under 60 ohm load is almost identical to its balanced out in THD+N measurements. This implies its headphone circuit produces almost minimal THD+N type of distrotion on a single-freq test tone. At +14dBu and 0 dBFS, its THD+N is -108dB into 60 ohm load at 1 kHz. That is the best measurement of a headphone amp I have seen. Of course this does not suggest it is the best-sounding headphone amp out there. But it is interesting to see what parameters the engineers are looking into when they design this product, in addition to just listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back