Soundcard question
Jun 4, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 7
If you'll be using ASIO out via Winamp or foobar2000 solely for playing music, then your best choice is emu 1212m.

Jun 4, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dotslashconfig
Um... now that I think about it. If it's digital out, the soundcard shouldn't matter. So why not go with just a plain old soundblaster that has a digital out?

Sadly, the soundblaster's do a very terrible thing to the sound quality. Even when the signal is headed for the digital output, the audio is still resampled with a terrible algorithm that kills the final quality. If you do want something on the low end, there is an offering from Chaintech that apparently has a bit perfect digital output and runs for around $25.

Jun 4, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Is the Audigy2 also bit-perfect on digital outs? I just can't imagine why the Audigy cards keep getting slammed when, in reality, all I'm going to be using it for is to get the 1's and 0's out the back of my computer. Unless the audigy has that same weird algorithm you mentioned before, shouldn't the audigy be the same as the emu card, with regards to S/PDIF out?

Jun 4, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 7
Are all nics the same? They're digital too, sending 1's and 0's down bits of cat5. I assure you not all nics are the same. There are many parameters and variables even in the digital world.

Jun 5, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dotslashconfig
Is the Audigy2 also bit-perfect on digital outs? I just can't imagine why the Audigy cards keep getting slammed when, in reality, all I'm going to be using it for is to get the 1's and 0's out the back of my computer. Unless the audigy has that same weird algorithm you mentioned before, shouldn't the audigy be the same as the emu card, with regards to S/PDIF out?

The Audigy still does resampling on the digital outputs; it changes the bits. In the Audiophile world that is a big NO-NO, especially since it does nothing to improve the sound quality and everything to destroy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back