Soundcard options (HT and 2ch)
Aug 14, 2004 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Spoonfed

New Head-Fier
Hi all....newbie here
smily_headphones1.gif

While i do understand this forum is headphone orientated, browing the net it seems to have a very good wealth of knowledge regarding PC Soundcards as source equipment.

While my request relates more to amplified "speaker" and home theatre use, id appreciate any input given

Im currently using the onboard C-Media SPDIF for 2ch and DD/DTS pass.

I am going to upgrade my ole Denon AVR to possibly a Jungson audio only 5.1 Receiver (full Class A) and obviously want better source.
http://www.jungson.com/product_pages/amplifier.htm (note is in $AUD)

2ch speakers are Quad 12L's

I want to feed 2ch CD and audio (ie Media library some 320kbbp and Lossless) via analogue out, and viewing of DTV/DVD (both 2ch and 5.1) via SPDIF...........+ i want this to be "seemless" (ie no need to switch on/off SPDIF in soundcard controller). (switching of receiver source is OK)

Obviously i want good 2ch analoge out with ASIO support, and same for SPDIF, ASIO support is needed i guess.

I wouldn't mind high quality 5.1 analogue outs, but it seems this is not really available in Sound cards.

Options i have come up with

Chaintech AV710 $25USD
- Apparently good bang for buck, ASIO capable (SPDIF/analogue) with good 2ch analogue DAC's
Capable of ASIO on both with ASIO4ALL.........can do SPDIF of DD and DTS

MAudio Revo 7.1 (or maybe 5.1?) $85USD?
- Similar to above (apparently)
hear of some poor inplemenation of features? Good 2 ch analogue DAC's perhaps better than the Chaintech????
Capable of ASIO on both with ASIO4ALL.........can do SPDIF of DD and DTS

E-MU 0404 $100USD
Apparently substanially better analogue 2ch out than the above?
has SPDIF and ASIO support BUT stupidly cannot PASS DD and DTS over SPDIF!!! (i guess i "Could" use the onboard Cmedia for all SPDIF duties..... but messy worst SPDIF quality?)

E-MU 1212M $200USD
Better DACs'/analogue again though same SPDIF restrictions

RME Hammerfall HDSP 9362 $600USD (getting a bit $$$$ for me )
Apparently best 2ch analogue output
SPDIF pass of AC3/DD does work

Im thinking perhaps the best option is a EMU 0404 using the 2ch analogue for CD/audio 2ch media and continue to use the CMedia SPDIF for DD/DTS movies? Would sound quality of DD/DTS from the Cmedia be noticably inferior?
Also while the 1212M seems good, the "two board" arrangement is at odds with availabe space in my HTPC case. (HD DTV cards etc..... not much room) (http://members.optusnet.com.au/spoonfed/PC%20INSIDE.jpg

The RME is a bit pricey, the Revo i have heard "mixed" opinions about....driver complaints etc Oh also there is a Revo 5.1 now....apprrently a bit better?

Thanks
Dan

Aug 15, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 8
I will look into these also.

Im now leaning towards the 1212M....the specs are damn amazing 120dB SNR and 121dB Dynamic Range..... + the rave comments on sound quality mentioned on these boards.....seems the go.

Would like confirmation though that it should work OK with the onboard CMedia chipset? Ie Cmedia will just be used for SPDIF pass of DD and DTS (plus probably 2ch PCM DTV as i'd be too lazy to change amp source hehe)
And at the same time the 1212M would output 2ch analogue without issues?

Thanks

Dan

Aug 15, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 8
that is correct from what research i have done........yes it does seem silly.

add to that apparently it cannot accept anything higher than 48khz from internal PC sources/software with its WDM drivers.......which means that 96 and 192khz DVD-A even on 2ch's is no acheivable (ie using WinDVD 6 for eg)

the above is the only thing holding me back.........im almost thinking getting a good 5.1 or 7.1 analogue card and using my HTPC as a pre running maybe a 5 ch dedicated amp or a 2ch and a 3 channel amp!

What would be the better option here? An M-Audio Revo 7.1, Revo 5.1, Prodigey 7.1? Or M-Audio 1010LT?

The above all seem capable of this. Im thinking the Revo 5.1, but am not sure if all channels have the same quality DAC?
The Prodigey 7.1 has an 8 channel Wolfson DAC....though apparnetly software does not have adjustable cross over point for LFE/Sub.....

Dan

Aug 16, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 8
*ouch* that sucks. Add to that the EMU0404 doesn't do anything above 96-KHz, the picture I get is a pretty limited flexibility. Even tho it does what it does well, but it doesn't seem to do many things? Looks like there is still reason to consider the ESI Juli@ ....

Aug 16, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 8
Yep, they are very good options for 2ch CD source only..... but become very limiting for other uses and future formats (well current i guess DVD-A)

Thats why i've bit the bullet, ordered a Revo 5.1. From what i have read it has a single 8ch AKM DAC (2 ch not used) that is superior to the "good" 2 Ch DAC on the Revo 7.1...... with the added bonus that this DAC drives all 6 ch's.... the Revo 7.1 having the resonable DAC for 2ch but average DAC for the remain 6.

Plus it has SPDIF pass, 192khz abity on all channels, bass management, speaker distance level etc control and so on.

Fairly cheap too.......will let you know what i think once it arrives...... Comparos will be no headphone but
Revo 5.1 Vs Naim CD transport ....... speakers Quad ESL's (mates setup)
Revo 5.1 Vs Denon 2200 DVD/A/SACD ...... speakers Quad 22L's (another mate)
Revo 5.1 vs ..... well current onboard DAC of my ole Denon recieve (soon to upgrade) speakers Quad 12L's

(hmmmmm im detecting some sort of "trend" here........just can't pick what it is hahahah)

thanks for eveyones input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back