Sound Cards That Go Pop
Jun 10, 2004 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lcachola

100+ Head-Fier
One of the reasons why I like an external DAC is that I don't hear any hard drive noise or interference when accessing it (in the form of pops and clicks), unlike several sound cards (4) I've heard under $100. While this isn't an issue when I'm just playing music, it becomes a problem when I want to do other things with my computer. Do higher end sound cards like the e-Mu and RME eliminate this issue or is it still present?

Jun 10, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
All of the good soundcards I've owned don't have any such problems, that I've experienced. They are (in order of sound quality, in stock form):

EMU 1212M
RME Digi 96/8 PAD
M-Audio Delta 410
Chaintech AV710
M-Audio Revolution

Actually, I know what the problem is - it's iTunes. I'm not a big fan of the foobar interface and winamp does some weird stuff to the output from my Prodigy - basically upsampling all my files to 192Khz during playback to make them all sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks on speed (haven't tried the latest edition of Winamp to see if it's been corrected, but the last time I tried Winamp, it lagged so much it was unusable on my system. When I run iTunes (v. 4.2), I hear pops and clicks on my Prodigy. Winamp doesn't do it and foobar doesn't do it, but the resampling issue makes Winamp unusable on my system. The pops and clicks also happened with my Chaintech too when I had it (although I have a new one again for comparison purposes).

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Have you tried the foo_looks plugin for Foobar that makes it look like Winamp?

Hmmm.... I'll look into it....

Jun 12, 2004 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Have you tried the foo_looks plugin for Foobar that makes it look like Winamp?

I would if I could get something other than a 404 when trying to download it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back