Sound card with midi?
Jan 13, 2005 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ndkchk

New Head-Fier
I'm going to be getting a pair of AKG K271's soon and probably need a new sound card as well (onboard now
frown.gif
) . I also have a Korg keyboard and want to be able to hook it up via midi to my computer so I can do some music notation. So, has anyone heard of a sound card that has a midi port and sounds all right?
Thanks.

Jan 14, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 6
I prefer the delta line by m-audio myself as I've had less driver conflicts, but the e-mu series are top notch cards, there are a few more as well, but I'd really like to hear a price point first

Jan 14, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 6
I just bought an adapter for mine. It's a splitter that plugs into the game port and has a midi in and midi out cable.
I haven't done any comparisons on how Emu cards sound compared to my Audigy 2 when reproducing midi.
If you're just using it for notation it wouldn't really matter how it sounds, would it? Are you going to use the sound from your computer or the sound from your keyboard?
While I'm on the subject, I don't think there is any card that is "right." They all seem to use different instruments. The only real way to get the sound that the composer wants is by using the exact same card.
Or am I wrong?

Jan 14, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 6
Sorry I didn't put a price in there first - I had no idea what ballpark I might be in - but anyway... $100? Less is probably better as I probably wouldn't be able to tell much difference anyway.
An adapter would probably work with what little I'm going to be doing with it also, so I guess it'd just be whichever's cheaper. I doubt I'd be able to tell much difference between a Chaintech 710 and something else as far as plain sound quality. I never thought of using the midi sounds from the keyboard - is it possible? I know that the keyboard has much higher quality midi than any soundcard I'd come across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back