Sound Blaster X AE5 latency issues.
Feb 1, 2020 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kol12

Head-Fier
I'm experiencing audio pops and blips with my SB X-AE5. I'm getting them while gaming, skipping through Youtube videos and itunes music playback. I seem to be having trouble with the drivers but don't know if it's a direct cause. I have both the new Sound Blaster Command installed as well as the older SB Connect to retain RGB control of the AE5. I'm unsure if there is a conflict there but someone said they can be run together. These drivers are very difficult to uninstall as Windows/something will instantly try to reinstall them. Windows update constantly wants to install a Sound Blaster driver. Adjusting sample rates doesn't make any difference. I can't think what else to do except try an alternative PCIE slot. I'm running an overclocked 8700K and overclocked Corsair Dominator RGB RAM on an Asus Maximus XI Hero that appears to be stable. Feel free to ask for anything I've missed. Does anyone have any suggestions? :triportsad:

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm experiencing audio pops and blips with my SB X-AE5. I'm getting them while gaming, skipping through Youtube videos and itunes music playback. I seem to be having trouble with the drivers but don't know if it's a direct cause. I have both the new Sound Blaster Command installed as well as the older SB Connect to retain RGB control of the AE5. I'm unsure if there is a conflict there but someone said they can be run together. These drivers are very difficult to uninstall as Windows/something will instantly try to reinstall them. Windows update constantly wants to install a Sound Blaster driver. Adjusting sample rates doesn't make any difference. I can't think what else to do except try an alternative PCIE slot. I'm running an overclocked 8700K and overclocked Corsair Dominator RGB RAM on an Asus Maximus XI Hero that appears to be stable. Feel free to ask for anything I've missed. Does anyone have any suggestions? :triportsad:
Did you disable the on-board audio, in the BIOS?
Have you tried run the computer not overclocked, see if that makes a different with the AE-5 sound card?
Try the AE-5 in the bottom PCI-E X1 slot.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 8
Did you disable the on-board audio, in the BIOS?
Have you tried run the computer not overclocked, see if that makes a different with the AE-5 sound card?
Try the AE-5 in the bottom PCI-E X1 slot.

On-board audio disabled = yes. I appear to be getting the audio pops in a complete default state as well, no OC's and default BIOS settings. I'm running the Unigine Superposition benchmark in full screen and consistently get around 3-4 audio pops during each run. I have the AE5 on the PCIEX_1 slot. Page 23, number 5 slot: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...14808_ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_WI-FI_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

I should also note that my PC case has a slight misalignment with the PCIE slots causing the AE5 to sit slightly out of the PCIE slot when screwed tight towards the PCIE bracket. I can push the AE5 right into the slot and tighten it there so I don't know if this is the issue. Apart from that I have no idea what is wrong...

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Which drivers are you using now? The ones that came from Sound Blaster or the Windows? Maybe try letting the Windows drivers install?

Well Windows managed to install their Creative drivers again but I decided I wanted the official Creative ones. So I uninstalled the Windows ones from Device Manager rebooted and installed the Creative ones before Windows got to it. Shortly after Sound Blaster Command notified me of an even newer driver which I installed from within Command. They are dated 11/10/2019...

Feb 3, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 8
On-board audio disabled = yes. I appear to be getting the audio pops in a complete default state as well, no OC's and default BIOS settings. I'm running the Unigine Superposition benchmark in full screen and consistently get around 3-4 audio pops during each run. I have the AE5 on the PCIEX_1 slot. Page 23, number 5 slot: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...14808_ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_WI-FI_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

I should also note that my PC case has a slight misalignment with the PCIE slots causing the AE5 to sit slightly out of the PCIE slot when screwed tight towards the PCIE bracket. I can push the AE5 right into the slot and tighten it there so I don't know if this is the issue. Apart from that I have no idea what is wrong...
If it is not seated fully in the slot, then my guess is that that is your problem. Seat it fully and don't worry about screwing it down. I had an asus card like that and I ended up using motherboard audio.

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 8
If it is not seated fully in the slot, then my guess is that that is your problem. Seat it fully and don't worry about screwing it down. I had an asus card like that and I ended up using motherboard audio.

I tried another slot (fully seated) and it's no different. I tried my on-board sound but it just can't drive my Hifiman HE400i. I'm basically getting pops in Windows like in this video:

Is that normal with a Sound Blaster card or do I have an issue?

Edit: Scrolling through the comments in that video seems to indicate these pops in Windows sounds and youtube videos is normal. Am I in fact OK?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 8
Regarding the card not seating properly when screwed back to the chassis is that an issue with the cards alignment or is the chassis misaligned? Something is out considerably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back