Sony X (french): how to increase vol ?!
Aug 10, 2009 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

LePhile

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Got my new Sony X1060 a few days ago. Nice toy, great sound, hugly web browser, a pain in the a.. to get a video on it... Exactly what I expected after having read all those reviews !!
bigsmile_face.gif

One problem though: my model came from France, so volume is capped. Not really an issue when using headphones, it becomes a real big one when I plug it to my car stereo (which has a 1.8" jack): even with volume at max on the Sony, I need to push the volume of the car stereo to the max as well to have "something" out of the speakers, but it's definitively not "loud", and sound seems flat, without relief. (My old Creative Zen Micro was wayyyy better in this situation !)

Options I have:

1) change the firmware to the non-capped version.

Any idea if posssible at all ? How ?

2) use the lineout port that must be hidden somewhere on the WM port

I read the Sony dock doesn't actually need a power to function as a lineout. Is that true ?

Never used this dock but I fear the walkman will simply jump out of the dock when I drive around....

3) use a portable headphone amp

Any good and cheap one to recommend ?

Experience with the Boostaroo ones ? They claim a 22-23dB boost

what about the impedance ? Finding out the impedance of a headphone (and checking compatibility with) is quite easy, but how could I find out impedance of my car stereo system ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back