Sony WF-1000XM5
Oct 29, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #781 of 1,069
Has anyone experienced a battery drain issue with the XM5s? It might be too soon for it to appear. I bought the XM4s in July 2021, and earlier this year noticed that he left bud's battery drains very fast. It's gotten to the point where the left bud will run out of battery in about 1 hour of listening time, while the right bud will still have 80% battery. I'm trying to get Sony to replace it, but since it's out of warranty, I doubt I'll be successful. I'm considering getting the XM5s as replacements, but I'm wary about another battery issue. (I've seen some articles where Sony claims to have fixed the battery problem with the XM5, but no one seems convinced.)
Had the same with xm4 and managed to get the one earbud replaced. Guess what, the other earbud soon developed the same issue. It's a known problem with xm4 😞 As for xm5 I just got them a month ago, so don't have any issues, but, honestly, wouldn't be surprised it they'll develop the same problem as Sony as far as I know never acknowledged the xm4 problem.

I read somewhere the theory that first xm4s were supplied with a different battery then the latest ones and thus the charging caused that battery to overheat and degrade faster, but also read that some people who had this problem opened their buds and found there the newer battery, so it's a bit contradicting.

So overall personally I got xm5 with an expectation of 1 year of proper service.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #782 of 1,069
I spent more than 5 hours today at Paris’ CDG airport… no BT dropouts. I did have sound cutting out every now and then, but these were always when my phone was receiving some notification.

Again, not doubting that you have problems with your XM5. But what you are reading in this thread is that your experience is not the same as the experience of at least some others. That might mean that you rethink if your experience is what everyone else would experience.

Again, not doubting your experience. Just stressing that your experience is not the same as that of some others.

I'm not convinced it has anything to do with crowds, I had my earbuds drop like crazy on a walk at night by the Golden Gate Bridge and there was no one else around. They dropped about 5 to 8 times.

But, I told my phone to forget the earbuds and set up them as new and they have not dropped.

As for whether this is a known issue, just google it, this issue is all over Reddit.

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #783 of 1,069
I'm not convinced it has anything to do with crowds, I had my earbuds drop like crazy on a walk at night by the Golden Gate Bridge and there was no one else around. They dropped about 5 to 8 times.

But, I told my phone to forget the earbuds and set up them as new and they have not dropped.

As for whether this is a known issue, just google it, this issue is all over Reddit.
I have been thinking of removing the XM5 from all my devices and then reset it and see what happens

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #784 of 1,069

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonyHeadphones/comments/15jcxqk/wf1000xm5_connection_issues/

Oct 29, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #786 of 1,069
Yep,

I'm going back and forth on whether to send them in and buy another pair of the Technics. I will total the ones i have in a year - lost, damaged, etc.
Well I returned my xm5’s and bought the Technics. They sound better than the xm’5s . Now the gym test tomorrow . See if I get a lot of cutouts . I have AirPod pro 2 and never get any cutouts in the gym.

Oct 29, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #787 of 1,069
Well I returned my xm5’s and bought the Technics. They sound better than the xm’5s . Now the gym test tomorrow . See if I get a lot of cutouts . I have AirPod pro 2 and never get any cutouts in the gym.
You will be fine at the gym. The Technics are amazing, just amazing. Sony's are physically the most comfortable earbuds I've ever had I think I will send the Sony's in and then, sell the replacement pair on eBay and buy another pair of the Technics. I already ruined on pair by throwing then in the washing machine. Fortunately, Techinics swapped them out under warranty,

I really love the sound of both, though they are different. I love, love, love the app on the Technics. What a well-thought-out UI.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #788 of 1,069
Well, I just bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on a pair of XM5s. Thanks for all of your collective posts here. I've been avoiding the TWS train because of Codec / Battery compromises opting rather for a Shanling UP5 with various IEMs on a custom 24" cable. Thats given me LDAC + 10 Hours while I'm out and about but from all the comments here it appears that Sony & Technics have mitigated those concerns so I'm rolling the dice. This forum had me leaning towards the AZ80 but I found a set of "open box" XM5s on eBay for $200 tax and shipping incl., so I figure it's time to try cutting the cord. Looking forward to sharing my impressions shortly.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #789 of 1,069
Well, I just bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on a pair of XM5s. Thanks for all of your collective posts here. I've been avoiding the TWS train because of Codec / Battery compromises opting rather for a Shanling UP5 with various IEMs on a custom 24" cable. Thats given me LDAC + 10 Hours while I'm out and about but from all the comments here it appears that Sony & Technics have mitigated those concerns so I'm rolling the dice. This forum had me leaning towards the AZ80 but I found a set of "open box" XM5s on eBay for $200 tax and shipping so I figure it's time to try cutting the cord. Looking forward to sharing my impressions shortly.
Honestly, they are both awesome!

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #790 of 1,069
You will be fine at the gym. The Technics are amazing, just amazing. Sony's are physically the most comfortable earbuds I've ever had I think I will send the Sony's in and then, sell the replacement pair on eBay and buy another pair of the Technics. I already ruined on pair by throwing then in the washing machine. Fortunately, Techinics swapped them out under warranty,

I really love the sound of both, though they are different. I love, love, love the app on the Technics. What a well-thought-out UI.
I used the Technics at the gym and not a single cutout using LDAC or AAC.

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #791 of 1,069

Not arguing with you whether this is a real issue or not.. I believe that you and others are experiencing these cutouts. I am just saying I am not.

Nov 1, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #793 of 1,069
My replacement arrived in the mail today. Listed them for sale if anyone is considering purchasing the XM5s.
My new set just showed up 20 minutes ago.
So Far so good.
PM sent

Nov 1, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #794 of 1,069
Not arguing with you whether this is a real issue or not.. I believe that you and others are experiencing these cutouts. I am just saying I am not.
I just received my set and have been testing them out. Back pocket, front pocket while walking around the block, going to the bank and moving around rooms. So far no drop outs here. So far I'm pretty happy.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #795 of 1,069
Had the XM5 since launch and no dropouts to speak of, and I travel a bunch (planes, trains, walking in public, etc.). Samsung Fold 3 on LDAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back