Sony SLT-A55 Translucent Mirror SLR
Sep 5, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #16 of 17

Quote:
Eh. if I wanted that kind of stuff I'd get a 60D. I've never seen a Pentax that can hold its own against a Canon, especially in low light. I'm interested in small size and weight which the Sony has, without the terrible AF performance of the PENs. No need for adapter mounts and limited functionality either, the Sony takes any standard mount Sony, Minolta, or 3rd party lens. In the rare instances where I want to use the viewfinder, the EVF I'm sure will be fine. Yes a 100% coverage pentaprism would be lovely, but I'm not willing to pay for that considering how little I would use it. Full time phase detect AF in live view with no wait for the mirror to move is a much more important feature.

Then there's the movie mode. From what I've seen, the SLT-A55 is the first SLR that could realistically replace a camcorder. Sure plenty of other SLRs can shoot in high def, but nobody wants to watch a movie that's constantly half out of focus while the contrast AF is hunting around.

Finally, you've got 10 FPS burst mode. No other APS-C camera does that. I don't know how often I would actually use it, but it's there if you need it. The Rebel T2i is still the stronger camera in absolute IQ terms, but when shooting movies, the Sony just walks all over it, and everybody else as well. Just take a look at this:

The K-x does quite a lot better at low light than it's Canon rivals because of it's better ISO performance. The K-7 does not perform as well as its competitors, but it is also priced significantly cheaper.

Not to say you're not entitled to your opinion, but I really think it's hard to get a bad DSLR, they're pretty much all equal... I like Pentax's price/performance ratio the most, so I go with them.

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #17 of 17

Quote:
Not to say you're not entitled to your opinion, but I really think it's hard to get a bad DSLR, they're pretty much all equal... I like Pentax's price/performance ratio the most, so I go with them.

In most cases that's true, especially when shooting RAW where the differences in JPEG processing disappear. Up through ISO 800, the difference between a good lens and a bad lens is likely to be much bigger than one SLR to another. ISO 1600+ separates the greats from the merely goods, but even the noisiest SLR is still an order of magnitude better than the best P&S at ISO 1600.

Sony's biggest problem in the APS-C format at least is still lenses, but with Tokina and Sigma stepping in to fill the void, I think Sony's cameras are now much more viable choices than they were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back