Sony PHA-1 Review and Impressions
Feb 7, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #47 of 60
Hi, I just bought my Sony PHA-1, unfortunately, I didn't noticed any difference when listening music with or without the amp. I tried the following

1. iPhone 5 > PHA-1 > B&W P7
2. iPhone 5 > PHA-1 > Monster Inspiration
3. Macbook Pro R > PHA 1 > B & W P7 / Monster Inspiration

Only thing I noticed is when using PHA-1 sound is much louder. I tried to test my music having the same sound level.

The music I tested are all loose less files.

Any idea??

Thank you.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #48 of 60
Hi, I just bought my Sony PHA-1, unfortunately, I didn't noticed any difference when listening music with or without the amp. I tried the following

1. iPhone 5 > PHA-1 > B&W P7
2. iPhone 5 > PHA-1 > Monster Inspiration
3. Macbook Pro R > PHA 1 > B & W P7 / Monster Inspiration

Only thing I noticed is when using PHA-1 sound is much louder. I tried to test my music having the same sound level.

The music I tested are all loose less files.

Any idea??

Thank you.

That's exactly what an amplifier suppose to do in the first place. Amplify a signal so it makes the sound loud and drive headphones properly and not modify the signal to make it sound different.

By the way, are you just using the PHA-1 line in or do you use the IDevice in/ USB in?

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #50 of 60
IPhone 5 is already a good source. Any SQ improvement will be very subtle compared to other high end source. You should look at better headphones if you after great improvements.

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #51 of 60
Mine sounds much better than my ipod classic by itself

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #55 of 60
After years of messing around with LODs and off board amps to coax a decent sound out of my 160GB iPC, last year, I bought a DX50. Although the sound is clearly much better than that of the iPC, the UI is clunky, it frequently crashes, and, even on the latest firmware, will still not play gapless files properly. As I do not need HD capability on the go, and would like to listen to classical works without the first few seconds of every track going AWOL, I am considering going back to the iPod.

How would an iPC with the PHA-1 compare to the DX50 in terms of SQ (using ALAC files)?

I presume the PHA-1 will have no trouble driving HD-25s, Grado SR225is or DT48s...

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #56 of 60
I have a beginners question for everyone, so please be kind.

I have a PHA-1 and would like to use it to listen to my TV, it has RCA style connectors on the rear for audio out (white/red), is it safe/recommended to connect the PHA-1 to the TV using an RCA to 3.5mm adapter to the input plug? Is that the correct way to use the input connector on the PHA-1, or is it more designed for connecting to a headphone jack on the TV? or will damage ensue?

Also my headphone cable isn't that long between the PHA-1 and headphones, is there much detriment to having a long RCA cable running to my couch with the PHA-1 sitting next to me, or is it better to have a short RCA run to the PHA-1 and longer headphone cables, or does it not really matter.

Thanks.

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #57 of 60
  I have a beginners question for everyone, so please be kind.

I have a PHA-1 and would like to use it to listen to my TV, it has RCA style connectors on the rear for audio out (white/red), is it safe/recommended to connect the PHA-1 to the TV using an RCA to 3.5mm adapter to the input plug? Is that the correct way to use the input connector on the PHA-1, or is it more designed for connecting to a headphone jack on the TV? or will damage ensue?

Also my headphone cable isn't that long between the PHA-1 and headphones, is there much detriment to having a long RCA cable running to my couch with the PHA-1 sitting next to me, or is it better to have a short RCA run to the PHA-1 and longer headphone cables, or does it not really matter.

Thanks.

It's fine running your TV to your PHA-1 in the manner you describe.  Up to you if you want to use the RCAs or the headphone jack - I'd use the RCAs but that's just me. 

As for your second question, that opens up the potential for a lot of debate.  I personally think as long as the cables are decent either way, don't worry about it.  After all, your source is your TV.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #58 of 60
 Hi there, nice review.

I'm looking at the Sony PHA-1 mainly for use as an amp from my FiiO X3 line out, and apart from its obvious feature set, do you think it would be a clear step up from FiiO E12 A as a stand alone amp?

Since the online price is currently about 250 USD, I'm thinking of giving it a go. Would appreciate any better performing amp suggestions around this price point as well.

Thanks & Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back