Sony PCDP feature check..oversampling and rate?
Dec 6, 2002 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

millerdog

1000+ Head-Fier
I got a D33 with eight times oversampling. Any other Sony like the Legends got oversampling? I noticed it makes a freakin difference
eek.gif

The D33 also uses dual DACs. That might make a diff too.
Let me know what you got.

thanks,
md

Dec 6, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 8
I've got a D-33 and although it eats batteries it has a brighter if not sometimes edgier sound on the high end than my dt-401 0r d-303. Overall I think the D-33 is a superb but bulky player.
The low end is solid but will cut out or go into limiting mode if overdriven (d-303 does the same thing) only the dt-401 will play without "limlting" but thats because it has 15mw. per ch.

Again the D-33 has some of the best highs I've heard with excellent separation of heavy orchestral passages featuring a lot of percussion like triangles cymbles etc.

Dec 6, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 8
I think those are just marketing words just like "d.a.d.s.". But yes the older players do sound better.

Better parts = better sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Dec 7, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
The D33 also uses dual DACs. That might make a diff too.
Let me know what you got.

As do the D777 and the E905 ~ or so I thought, until we did some investigations here... sometime earlier this year...

Technically it does use dual DACs but they're in the same IC ~ based on a delta/sigma design...

It is too costly in both money, and battery life to apply a real multibit / double dac setup into a portable ~ its sales speak i'm afraid... literally all Dual-DAC means is that its a 1 bit DAC with a noise shaper attached as part of the data processing ~ as is the oversampling... a noise shaper / cleaner

Dec 7, 2002 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by mekanoplastik
.....d-555 has two pcm66p DAC ic ..............

That wouldn't be classed as a Dual-DAC design then?!

Maybe multibit? (2 x 1 bit)

What does it say on the unit itself?

Interesting

Thanks

Dec 7, 2002 at 10:34 AM Post #8 of 8
I was using my D5a as my source. I switched to my D33 and the sound really cleaned up. I lost a bunch of transients and I think I'm getting better sound separation...never mind...too many beers, more tomorrow.
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back