Sony MDR-7506 sounding like crap
Mar 19, 2024 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Hurin Thalion

New Head-Fier
So I just recently bought a pair of Sony MDR-7506 and they sound like crap to me, the bass/low end are FAR too high and can sound very muddy/dirty, the highs are quite piercing and also sound just "bad" (sorry I'm no audiophile, I actually know next to nothing about audio besides "it sounds good to me", so I don't know a lot about the correct technical terms).

First audio file I tried is this bass test to compare to my trusty DT770 Pro (using the EDT-770SG softskin pads with tiny holes on the back, not the stock EDT-770V pads so they may lack some bass compared to the stock experience, I guess ?)

The bass was so damn high I immediately switched to my DT770s (on a FiiO K3 DAC, "old" version if that matters) to compare, and the bass is FAR more tolerable on those even if the song is bass boosted, like a LOT more tolerable, I didn't expect that, the DT770 are already supposed to be quite bass heavy but the 7506 are out of this world (at least my pair is).

I then listened to my small collection of FLAC songs (quite small, I don't really listen to music that much, if at all, the whole point of that purchase was to listen to music again with a controversial pair of cans, some people seem to love them, some hate them). I found the bass/low end was FARtoo present on a lot of songs, also feeling "dirty" quite often, if not most of the time, and so were the highs, the mids are actually pretty OK to my ears, nothing amazing but OK, even pretty good I'd say with my quite limited experience with mid-tier headphones.

The whole experience seems like listening to a cheap super bassy pair of cans (except the mids I guess) so I checked the box, they weren't manufactured in Japan but Thailand, I've heard the 7506 are sometimes manufactured in China nowadays and are lower qualities, but if those coming from Thailand all sound like mine they're a straight up scam. I don't think I received a pair of fakes, the seller was Amazon themselves (Amazon France to be exact, that might make a difference), the box and headphones seem genuine to me (although I've never used or saw them before so you know).

I'm waiting to see if a period of "burn-in" will improve this pair but I doubt so, at least not substantially, I know a lot of people like to change the stock ear pads for Beyerdynamic EDT250V (mostly for comfort as far as I understand, the stock ear pads are...OK, quite small but OK so far) but I doubt a change of pads will make those crappy cans sound that much different, I could try an equalizer, but like I said I know very little about audio so wouldn't really know what I'm doing, and I just think I've received a completely crappy pair to begin with.

Did anyone have the same experience ? I'll test them a few more days and probably return them and use the money when the DT770Pro X are released, I didn't expect much from those cans, but I didn't expect that for sure.

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #2 of 2
Is there any chance your 7506 is a counterfeit/copy?
That doesn't sound right at all.

Could you share a photograph of the 7506 driver?
That is normally the easiest way to detect a counterfeit sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back