Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Sep 28, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #946 of 1,526
Ok SO the XZ1 is better than even the V30 when it comes to internal ventilation/heating then? I'm assuming you've checked both out?! lol I just want to reconfirm "Best".

That's awesome about the XZP and 4K. HTC could learn a thing or two about component real estate. lol

That's great about the JDI screens. I would LOVE IT if Apple left Samsung's OLEDs and switched to Sony/JDI's LCD screens next year. That would be HUGGGEE! lol And big money for Sony/JDI too. They're partners right? Or Sony owns them??

I found out the locked T-Mobile variant of the V30 is gonna be $800. Ughh..........a bit too much IMO. The unlocked one however will be cheaper I'm sure, but I'm still gonna have to confirm it too is VoLTE-certified. The unlocked G6 was per a guy on XDA, which is a good sign, but still not 100% proof the unlocked V30 will have it too. IF it's not, then I will more strongly consider the XZ1 IF it is. I won't get more confirmation on that 'til early next week though. Ughh............so tired of worrying about if every phone I get will have VoLTE on T-Mo. lol Oh well. Can't do much about it I guess.
none of those have ventilation because they are both water-resistance im sure. but heat dissipation on the XZ1 is probably the best right now I don't think lgv30 is investing that much into that because they never had big issues like sony. I'd bet my money on the xz1 I don't think the lgv30 is going to be any better it will either be on par or worse.

yeah apple might actually be the one to help JDI by investing billions of dollars so apple can use oled from JDI instead of samsung. I wonder what kind of design newer xperias will have from now on.

Sep 28, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #947 of 1,526
none of those have ventilation because they are both water-resistance im sure. but heat dissipation on the XZ1 is probably the best right now I don't think lgv30 is investing that much into that because they never had big issues like sony. I'd bet my money on the xz1 I don't think the lgv30 is going to be any better it will either be on par or worse.

yeah apple might actually be the one to help JDI by investing billions of dollars so apple can use oled from JDI instead of samsung. I wonder what kind of design newer xperias will have from now on.

Oh ok. Well I meant both really, but good to know the XZ1 is #1. :L3000: lol

Oh OLED from JDI, not LCD. That's right. Ok, still good.

So are JDI and Sony partners, or Sony just owns them, or...........???

Yeah I am interested to see where Sony Mobile goes with that too.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #948 of 1,526

F Sony lol..........................VoLTE is a NO-GO on the XZ1 man. Guess I'm NOT buying it then.

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #949 of 1,526
Oh ok. Well I meant both really, but good to know the XZ1 is #1. :L3000: lol

Oh OLED from JDI, not LCD. That's right. Ok, still good.

So are JDI and Sony partners, or Sony just owns them, or...........???

Yeah I am interested to see where Sony Mobile goes with that too.
both. they are like a stake holder in the company and also part owner. So JDI prioritizes Sony over all others but Sony actually does not partake in the R&D in JDI its pretty much just JDI doing the r&d work.

The volte issue might be the fact that sony phones are not sold through t-mobile. I believe the z3 had volte so that might be why. You might have to wait for mirai.

have you used a phone with volte and one without one? you noticed a big difference. Cuz for my everyday use my phone seems fine.

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #950 of 1,526
both. they are like a stake holder in the company and also part owner. So JDI prioritizes Sony over all others but Sony actually does not partake in the R&D in JDI its pretty much just JDI doing the r&d work.

The volte issue might be the fact that sony phones are not sold through t-mobile. I believe the z3 had volte so that might be why. You might have to wait for mirai.

have you used a phone with volte and one without one? you noticed a big difference. Cuz for my everyday use my phone seems fine.

Ahh ok. Good to know, esp that Sony gets priority! lol :L3000:

No it's not that at all. As you might recall, my UNLOCKED HTC 10 was certified for VoLTE by HTC with T-Mobile b/c they're NOT brain dead idiot pu$$ies. lol (Well at least not in this case). The Unlocked HTC U11 also was too. The 10 initially WAS sold through T-Mo, but the U11 was not, yet it still got VoLTE-certification. It's NOT hard Sony. Also, my dad's Unlocked OnePlus 5 has both VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling on T-Mo as well. So Sony Mobile, you really have NO excuse for being so cheap and stupid. lol

I e-mailed them last night and b*tched them out too. It felt good. LOL

Yeah my Z3 had VoLTE b/c I bought it through T-Mobile. But back then in 2014 it wasn't as important as it is now. Anytime you get a locked T-Mo variant it will 100% have it. But therein lies the problem..........Sony still isn't selling through carriers yet. Yeah I'll wait but that doesn't mean I won't get another phone. Still gotta see about the Unlocked V30 and VoLTE.

I have noticed a difference, but the Band 12 aspect is the biggest yet. A few posts ago I described the benefits of having it, so just reread that. Right now the Band 12 thing is the biggest b/c it's the best radio spectrum available, but again you CANNOT utilize it unless your phone has VoLTE & it's enabled. Pure and simple. If they can do it in other countries, they can do it here. But they're too busy making 3 idiotic mistakes for every smart move they make. Makes me wish I was a multi-billionaire. If I owned Sony Mobile, people would be like Sam-who? The company that makes iPhones is named after which fruit again?!!! lol

Yeah it will SEEM fine, but you won't get reception as well in some areas as you should, and you may not be able to make calls in some areas w/o it either. There are pros and cons to T-Mo requiring this certification. The cons you know, the pro is that you're GUARANTEED to get the best service possible on their network if the phone is certified b/c it leaves no doubts as to any specific phone's capabilities.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #951 of 1,526
quickly googled VoLTE and it seems flashing different region rom on XZ enables it

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #952 of 1,526
quickly googled VoLTE and it seems flashing different region rom on XZ enables it

Yeah I've heard those rumors too. But I refuse to do that Infy, and there's no guarantee it would work. Maybe for enabling the fingerprint sensor, yes, but not VoLTE.

I rooted my old HTC One M8 a few years ago, and while it was pretty cool at first, after a few mos it became a hassle, so I vowed never to do it again. If Sony Mobile wants my business they can quit being a bunch of cheap lazy Fs and certify VoLTE like OnePlus and HTC did on their unlocked flagship phones. I'm busy enough. I have no desire to flash anything. lol

I just e-mailed Sony Mobile and b*tched them out. The guy said:

Thank you for contacting Sony Xperia™ Online Support.

In regards to your inquiry we'll be happy to inform you. In this case the internationally unlocked Xperia XZ1 does not come with the VoLTE feature since it is not a carrier bound handset. Your ideas are important to us, and as such, we have taken this as a valuable feedback. I advise that you submit them to our Developer Team for review. You can reach them here: developer.world@sonymobile.com. Do not ever hesitate to inquire about an ongoing issue you may have in the future. If you have any other doubt/concern, you can definitely get in contact with us again, we are here to help you.

As part of Sony Mobile's commitment to excellent customer service, we offer a wide variety of mobile products to suit your lifestyle. If you require more information, or have any other questions, please visit www.sonymobile.com or call us at 1-866-766-9374.

Kind Regards,
Shen

Which is just a bunch of BS. So I asked about the U.S. unlocked variant. We'll see what he says. I also e-mailed the Developer Team with the same questions. I'll post their responses as they come in.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #953 of 1,526
Yeah I've heard those rumor too. But I refuse to do that Infy, and there's no guarantee it would work. Maybe for enabling the fingerprint sensor, yes, but not VoLTE.

It's not too difficult a task and only has to be done once. As remaining on stock, no bootloader unlock is necessary. After that when that region version gets an update you can get it directly over the net in the device. No further root modding or tweaking required. Manually flashing another update is optional. If you want to gain fingerprint sensor too it's a double whammy. Giving you twice the profit for the same task in a way.

I suppose it may affect warranty but if it's a physical fault you can flash back before claiming and it's undetectable. If it dies, well it's dead and it's unlikely they can be certain it's been flashed.

For certainty you could wait for users to test and report if it works properly before deciding.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #954 of 1,526
It's not too difficult a task and only has to be done once. As remaining on stock, no bootloader unlock is necessary. After that when that region version gets an update you can get it directly over the net in the device. No further root modding or tweaking required. Manually flashing another update is optional. If you want to gain fingerprint sensor too it's a double whammy. Giving you twice the profit for the same task in a way.

I suppose it may affect warranty but if it's a physical fault you can flash back before claiming and it's undetectable. If it dies, well it's dead and it's unlikely they can be certain it's been flashed.

For certainty you could wait for users to test and report if it works properly before deciding.

So you're saying you can flash a firmware WITHOUT needing to unlock the bootloader & also root??

But I have to update by downloading to PC then installing via PC??

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #955 of 1,526
So you're saying you can flash a firmware WITHOUT needing to unlock the bootloader & also root??

But I have to update by downloading to PC then installing via PC??
Yes by using alternative software Flash Tool. It's necessary for being able to change the region firmware you want. It's because you're not unlocking anything but simply flashing another region's stock firmware.

Only when changing region. Can do new updates directly on the phone if keeping the same system. To add to another case I forgot to mention earlier, if the USB port were to die, unflashing then wouldn't be possible. That said, it's not clear whether using another region's stock firmware voids warranty. Technically it doesn't, it's possible but unlikely they'd be concerned. What's to say you weren't overseas and had the software reset by an official repairer for troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #956 of 1,526
my friend who really knows his stuff says it does NOT void warranty. Becuase you're not unlocking the bootloader just flashing firmware.

This is the same way to enable to the fingerprint scanner which I've been trying to do with my Sony X but honestly I hear it can mess up your phone so i never bothered. Others who say they are noobs say it was very easy to do.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #957 of 1,526
Yes by using alternative software Flash Tool. It's necessary for being able to change the region firmware you want. It's because you're not unlocking anything but simply flashing another region's stock firmware.

Only when changing region. Can do new updates directly on the phone if keeping the same system. To add to another case I forgot to mention earlier, if the USB port were to die, unflashing then wouldn't be possible. That said, it's not clear whether using another region's stock firmware voids warranty. Technically it doesn't, it's possible but unlikely they'd be concerned. What's to say you weren't overseas and had the software reset by an official repairer for troubleshooting.

Very interesting! Thanks. Yeah another person in that XDA thread confirmed they got the int'l firmware. No one's flashed the U.S. one yet to see if VoLTE gets enabled on T-Mobile.

Ok cool. Thx for the info!

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #958 of 1,526
my friend who really knows his stuff says it does NOT void warranty. Becuase you're not unlocking the bootloader just flashing firmware.

This is the same way to enable to the fingerprint scanner which I've been trying to do with my Sony X but honestly I hear it can mess up your phone so i never bothered. Others who say they are noobs say it was very easy to do.

Good to know!

Hmm. That's not good that some say it can cause issues. I've never heard that. But I don't really follow-up much on it anyway.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #959 of 1,526
New GSM Arena XZ1 video review, though it seems to be just be based off the official review on the site.

Takeaways for me were: 1) Phone is MOSTLY metal unibody, EXCEPT for top and bottom, which are plastic and 2) The audio on headphones is good but not great.

LG V30 for me then. lol (IF unlocked version is T-Mo VoLTE-certified of course.)

Don't get the top & bottom plastic thing. What? If HTC (and I think LG with the V30?) can make their flagships ALL metal unibody, why can't the rest? They say oh it's cuz of antenna issues. I call BS though cuz the HTC phones are known for great call quality. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back