Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Sep 11, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #888 of 1,526
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz1-review-1656.php

not a bad score of 82 hour higher than that of XZ premium and XZs. Most likely attributed to : snap 835, and Android oreo which has massive improvments in battery life. XZP does have the 4k screen and the 7.1 android.

hm yeah sony was betting on the optimizations I guess. Still if it was going to cut battery size it should have included wireless charging or some crap.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #889 of 1,526
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz1-review-1656.php

not a bad score of 82 hour higher than that of XZ premium and XZs. Most likely attributed to : snap 835, and Android oreo which has massive improvments in battery life. XZP does have the 4k screen and the 7.1 android.

hm yeah sony was betting on the optimizations I guess. Still if it was going to cut battery size it should have included wireless charging or some ****.

This is FANTASTIC news aertus! Thanks for sharing it.

Yeah even when the XZ Premium gets Oreo, it still won't have the high battery life the XZ1 will apparently as the 835 seems to be the bigger component of the superior battery life the XZ1 has. Plus yeah, the 4K thing too on the XZ Premium. lol EDIT: Actually, I forgot the XZ Premium HAS the 835, so I wonder when it gets Oreo if it will be better in battery life vs. upcoming XZ1 with smaller battery? With 4K HDR screen (XZ Premium), hard to say. What do you think??

Well Sony apparently bet right! lol Yeah that would've been nice, but to me, it's still kinda BS b/c of the audio, which right now is about the only negative to me on this phone (oh and still not having a metal back vs. glass/metal, but whatever lol. That is pretty minor.) Yeah the speakers are 50% louder, but the headphone amp is still weak, and it doesn't seem like they did much with the DAC either. This means if I was to get this phone (which I doubt I will as I still am enjoying my HTC 10), I'd have to get an amp/DAC device once again to go with it if I want to keep my sound quality up to par. Not a big deal, but I HAVE been liking not having to plug in a third device in b/t my 99 Cs and my 10. lol If I had to go back to that though, I guess I would. But next year if the LG G7 has the Quad DAC here in the U.S., I may just get that instead. We'll see.

It annoys me that Sony focuses all their audio talk on the Xperia line about Hi-Res, but they resort to BS marketing tactics like about how Hi-Res sounds so great cuz of the higher resolution, but at this point I think anyone who reads my posts know I've proven that not be true. Stop tellin' me that the device can process Hi-Res, and tell me instead how the DAC has won awards and/or is well-reviewed, as well as the amp. Sony's original focus was on sound (which is how they got their name ((see "Name" section))), but they have to "get real" about their phones' audio quality.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #890 of 1,526
This is FANTASTIC news aertus! Thanks for sharing it.

Yeah even when the XZ Premium gets Oreo, it still won't have the high battery life the XZ1 will apparently as the 835 seems to be the bigger component of the superior battery life the XZ1 has. Plus yeah, the 4K thing too on the XZ Premium. lol EDIT: Actually, I forgot the XZ Premium HAS the 835, so I wonder when it gets Oreo if it will be better in battery life vs. upcoming XZ1 with smaller battery? With 4K HDR screen (XZ Premium), hard to say. What do you think??

Well Sony apparently bet right! lol Yeah that would've been nice, but to me, it's still kinda BS b/c of the audio, which right now is about the only negative to me on this phone (oh and still not having a metal back vs. glass/metal, but whatever lol. That is pretty minor.) Yeah the speakers are 50% louder, but the headphone amp is still weak, and it doesn't seem like they did much with the DAC either. This means if I was to get this phone (which I doubt I will as I still am enjoying my HTC 10), I'd have to get an amp/DAC device once again to go with it if I want to keep my sound quality up to par. Not a big deal, but I HAVE been liking not having to plug in a third device in b/t my 99 Cs and my 10. lol If I had to go back to that though, I guess I would. But next year if the LG G7 has the Quad DAC here in the U.S., I may just get that instead. We'll see.

It annoys me that Sony focuses all their audio talk on the Xperia line about Hi-Res, but they resort to BS marketing tactics like about how Hi-Res sounds so great cuz of the higher resolution, but at this point I think anyone who reads my posts know I've proven that not be true. Stop tellin' me that the device can process Hi-Res, and tell me instead how the DAC has won awards and/or is well-reviewed, as well as the amp. Sony's original focus was on sound (which is how they got their name ((see "Name" section))), but they have to "get real" about their phones' audio quality.
yeah XZP has 835 it came out this year lol. the XZ1 is just a smaller version of it.

the XZP will not have as good battery life because the differentiating factor will be the 4k display. Sony was betting on Android O and the optimizaitons so i guess they were kind of right.

the XZ1 does have a metal back. in the fact the XZ1 is from one piece of aluminuim which makes it more sturdy unlike the XZ which was kind of put into pieces. I think they might have improved DAC as well but im not sure.

Sep 12, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #891 of 1,526
yeah XZP has 835 it came out this year lol. the XZ1 is just a smaller version of it.

the XZP will not have as good battery life because the differentiating factor will be the 4k display. Sony was betting on Android O and the optimizaitons so i guess they were kind of right.

the XZ1 does have a metal back. in the fact the XZ1 is from one piece of aluminuim which makes it more sturdy unlike the XZ which was kind of put into pieces. I think they might have improved DAC as well but im not sure.

Yeah I just forgot since I first saw the specs a few mos ago. But yeah I knew/know all that.

Yes it seems unlikely that even when the XZP gets upgraded to Oreo that it will outdo the XZ1 in battery life.

Ok it does? Some of the reviews haven't been clear about that, but ok GOOD! I just confirmed that too in your article. So it's like my 10 then.........awesome! I guess the XZP has a Gorilla glass front and back, and plastic sides? They should've made the sides metal too if they're gonna call it "Premium" IMO. lol

I'm glad you brought up the DAC, cuz I was gonna reply back to you today about the audio section review from your link, which was:

Audio output is unchanged
The Sony Xperia XZ1 audio is virtually identical to that of the XZ Premium and XZs before it. The smartphone delivered excellently clean output when used with an active external amplifier, getting top marks across the board. Its output loudness was only average though - most of the other flagships out there do better.

Clarity degradation caused by headphones is about average - a moderate hike in stereo crosstalk and a little intermodulation distortion. However add the drop in loudness to below average levels and you end up with a performance that's not quite up there with the competition, even if it isn't too bad on its own.

So read that carefully. It SOUNDS like to me that they're saying the audio quality is great, just that the amp is still weak, and therefore would require a strong amp like the FiiO A3 or A5. I still need to see more reviews, but is that how you're interpreting it too or no?

Sep 12, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #892 of 1,526
Yeah I just forgot since I first saw the specs a few mos ago. But yeah I knew/know all that.

Yes it seems unlikely that even when the XZP gets upgraded to Oreo that it will outdo the XZ1 in battery life.

Ok it does? Some of the reviews haven't been clear about that, but ok GOOD! I just confirmed that too in your article. So it's like my 10 then.........awesome! I guess the XZP has a Gorilla glass front and back, and plastic sides? They should've made the sides metal too if they're gonna call it "Premium" IMO. lol

I'm glad you brought up the DAC, cuz I was gonna reply back to you today about the audio section review from your link, which was:

Audio output is unchanged
The Sony Xperia XZ1 audio is virtually identical to that of the XZ Premium and XZs before it. The smartphone delivered excellently clean output when used with an active external amplifier, getting top marks across the board. Its output loudness was only average though - most of the other flagships out there do better.

Clarity degradation caused by headphones is about average - a moderate hike in stereo crosstalk and a little intermodulation distortion. However add the drop in loudness to below average levels and you end up with a performance that's not quite up there with the competition, even if it isn't too bad on its own.

So read that carefully. It SOUNDS like to me that they're saying the audio quality is great, just that the amp is still weak, and therefore would require a strong amp like the FiiO A3 or A5. I still need to see more reviews, but is that how you're interpreting it too or no?

XZP uses gorilla front and back but the sides although plastic, are not normal plastic. It's nylon sides and they help hide the antenna lines as well as make it more shock absorbant if dropped. it definitely it doesn't feel cheap. Where as the XZ1, given that its a single piece of unibody metal the antena lines are on the sides of the device. I suppose it depends on what you like but many like the feeling of the XZ1 metal.

yeah, it seems like they are saying the Sound quality is really great but not the strongest volume. Basically sony needs a more powerful amp inside the phone since their audio seems to be very good quality.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #893 of 1,526
XZP uses gorilla front and back but the sides although plastic, are not normal plastic. It's nylon sides and they help hide the antenna lines as well as make it more shock absorbant if dropped. it definitely it doesn't feel cheap. Where as the XZ1, given that its a single piece of unibody metal the antena lines are on the sides of the device. I suppose it depends on what you like but many like the feeling of the XZ1 metal.

yeah, it seems like they are saying the Sound quality is really great but not the strongest volume. Basically sony needs a more powerful amp inside the phone since their audio seems to be very good quality.

Ok. I guess that's a step up if it's not "normal" plastic. I guess I'd have to see it in person to know. Only place that could be is Best Buy. I just checked the ones by me do carry the black one in store, and Best Buy chat rep said they would have it on display as well. Hopefully he wasn't full of crap. lol I will be near the one store tomorrow, so might drop in and check it out for fun, though I'd prefer the XZ1. Maybe I'll check that one out too? lol

Yeah I'd prefer the metal unibody of the XZ1. My 10 is the same way as I'd mentioned earlier, and I'd prefer to keep that going. I've done glass back phones (Z3, and I think S7?), and I'd rather have metal as it's harder to damage IF dropped. And I think I like the look more too.

Cool vid. I skimmed through it. If you find one on the XZ1's HEADPHONE audio quality/volume, please post here. But good to know speaker audio quality is solid, though just not as loud or AS detailed as the U11's, though the U11's are more "pitchier" (sharper treble), which could be annoying after a while. I think Sony should expand the speaker grills on the XZ1. Make them like the HTC One M7/M8/M9. That would be smart for 2018.

HTC claimed that removing the headphone jack on the U11 is why they were able to get its speakers to sound louder. Still, I'd rather they kept it on. But now Google is apparently buying them out, so who knows where that will go. Either Google will sell them off or neutralize them completely, or else they take their BILLIONS and invest in HTC, market it appropriately, have full U.S. carrier involvement, and perhaps rule the world?! lol Who knows. lol

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #894 of 1,526

A few of the Amazon reviews on the headphone audio of the int'l XZ Premium and U.S. XZ Premium are quite favorable for the most part. One person under int'l says the volume is loud enough on more sensitive headphones, while under the U.S. one they're very loud though he thinks his headphones are very sensitive too.

So on Wednesday I had a chance to stop over at my local Best Buy to check out the XZ Premium in Black (U.S. version). Man, my JAW DROPPED when I saw that SICK A$$ 4K HDR screen! lol Usually I don't care that much about the screen, but it was stunning! The back side of the XZP is probably the best looking I've seen on an Xperia phone yet. The backside glass bends downward at the edges and is more flush with the phone edges where in the past like on the Z3 the edges were bigger and simply engulfed the edges of the back glass. It was incredible really! The photos you see online don't quite do it justice. lol If I liked phablets AND had AT&T instead of T-Mobile (XZ1 will be VoLTE-certified with T-Mobile, but XZP isn't......but AT&T doesn't require certification, so you'd have VoLTE out of the box), I'd definitely consider it for sure.

On a side note, I noticed that although the upcoming XZ1 doesn't have a 4K screen, it DOES however also have the HDR feature that the XZP has. That is definitely a plus for the XZ1!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #895 of 1,526

A preview of what's to come from Sony Mobile for 2018..............or at least the first half of 2018?

I don't see any 4K HDR phones, and the 835 appears to be the best chip listed, so I doubt this list includes anything that we'll see at IFA next Fall.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #896 of 1,526
A few of the Amazon reviews on the headphone audio of the int'l XZ Premium and U.S. XZ Premium are quite favorable for the most part. One person under int'l says the volume is loud enough on more sensitive headphones, while under the U.S. one they're very loud though he thinks his headphones are very sensitive too.

So on Wednesday I had a chance to stop over at my local Best Buy to check out the XZ Premium in Black (U.S. version). Man, my JAW DROPPED when I saw that SICK A$$ 4K HDR screen! lol Usually I don't care that much about the screen, but it was stunning! The back side of the XZP is probably the best looking I've seen on an Xperia phone yet. The backside glass bends downward at the edges and is more flush with the phone edges where in the past like on the Z3 the edges were bigger and simply engulfed the edges of the back glass. It was incredible really! The photos you see online don't quite do it justice. lol If I liked phablets AND had AT&T instead of T-Mobile (XZ1 will be VoLTE-certified with T-Mobile, but XZP isn't......but AT&T doesn't require certification, so you'd have VoLTE out of the box), I'd definitely consider it for sure.

On a side note, I noticed that although the upcoming XZ1 doesn't have a 4K screen, it DOES however also have the HDR feature that the XZP has. That is definitely a plus for the XZ1!

thats really dope man I wish i could check it out in person. For some reason the best buy near me decided to only put the mid rangers from Sony on display instead of their flagships?? But i was fearing the 4k hdr was a gimmick but a couple of reviews i saw on the Internet said its definitely not a gimmick and you have to see it in person to believe it. and yeah i feel like i definitely need to see it in person I dont think anything on the internet is giving it any justice.

it might get volte wwho knows.

yup and the XZ1 just got added into the list by netflix for HDR support.

A preview of what's to come from Sony Mobile for 2018..............or at least the first half of 2018?

I don't see any 4K HDR phones, and the 835 appears to be the best chip listed, so I doubt this list includes anything that we'll see at IFA next Fall.

i heard rumors that 2018 sony is following the new trend of bezeless with their mirai design which means Future in japanese. who knows it might be cool. I feel like what would be best is to stick to 16:9 and just reduce bezels.

I feel like sound quality has never been an issue for sony. Just volume output and this seems to be hard to differentiate unless you use an external amp. its probably the only way to really find out. But having a good amp is part of the overall package.

I feel like sony is betting on people using sensitive headphones. Since typically most things that sony make like their earphones etc are very sensitive and have low OHMS.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #897 of 1,526
thats really dope man I wish i could check it out in person. For some reason the best buy near me decided to only put the mid rangers from Sony on display instead of their flagships?? But i was fearing the 4k hdr was a gimmick but a couple of reviews i saw on the Internet said its definitely not a gimmick and you have to see it in person to believe it. and yeah i feel like i definitely need to see it in person I dont think anything on the internet is giving it any justice.

it might get volte wwho knows.

yup and the XZ1 just got added into the list by netflix for HDR support.

i heard rumors that 2018 sony is following the new trend of bezeless with their mirai design which means Future in japanese. who knows it might be cool. I feel like what would be best is to stick to 16:9 and just reduce bezels.

I feel like sound quality has never been an issue for sony. Just volume output and this seems to be hard to differentiate unless you use an external amp. its probably the only way to really find out. But having a good amp is part of the overall package.

I feel like sony is betting on people using sensitive headphones. Since typically most things that sony make like their earphones etc are very sensitive and have low OHMS.

Yeah it was awesome. That's lame! F midrangers! lol Anyone who says it isn't incredible is either lying or full of crap! lol

They COULD go and get it VoLTE-certified with T-Mobile if they wanted to. It's still a new phone. They should've done so with it instead of starting with the XZ1. It's a great unique phone but T-Mo ppl like me would have to sacrifice coverage just to get it. NOT cool.

Nice on Netflix/HDR for XZ1!

Yeah I hope so. It's time to end the bezels Sony! lol Yeah my cousin has the Note 8 which is 18:9 and he confirmed that UNLESS a video is made in 18:9 (or 2:1) aspect ratio, you will have to choose b/t black bars at the sides or else stretching out the video in fullscreen. So I'm with u on Sony RETAINING the 16:9 ratio for ALL future phones.

Well on the Z3 it was pretty good, but I'm sorry, LG and HTC have RAISED that bar, and Sony let itself get behind there. If it's not like EQUAL to LG or HTC, then to me it's still lacking. Maybe not lacking like SAM-DUNNGG is, but lacking. lol And yeah, it doesn't help that those phones come with STRONG amps and Sony's don't.

Well Sony can go F themselves then. LOL Even sensitive headphones can benefit from a SOLID amp. And that doesn't mean it has to be some industrial-strength desktop amp either. Just a portable amp even. My Meze 99 Cs are 32-ohms, as were my old AKG K551s, which is on the low side, so easier to drive. But still, some music I have (esp some Hi-Res music) was mastered at a LOWER volume, so I need that extra power to really drive them sufficiently.

I guess we find out tomorrow about HTC and Google. Or at least get an idea. I just hope Google doesn't just suck them dry and sell them off like they did with Motorola and their patents. lol

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #898 of 1,526
did you check out any 4k youtube videos on it? yeah it was really stupid they had like the XA1 on display. I dont get why they would do that really dumb best buy we have here. Which state are you from in the USA?

yup 16:9 with smaller bezels would be perfect. This new aspect ratio is going to be a pain in the ass until everyone jumps on board if that happens.

yeah im mad at sony for not keeping up. It seems to me like they've gotten really slow ever since the z3 was a big hit. They've been slacking ever since. meanwhile the lgv30 is the first LG phone to ever impress me. I've never liked LG phones but the lgv30 has my attention because they improved all aspects of the phone.

HTC and google is more of a partnership rather than google just buying off HTC. which means they are cross sharing technologies together. Its kind of like Foxconn and Sharp were sharp still gets to keep its tech from Japan. This will mean a come back for sharp as well we might see them rise again.

But yeah, i feel like this will benefit google phones immensly. Once they change their design, get that HTC sound quality in it I'm not sure even Sony, Samsung or anyone else can compete with them since Google has the best camera algorithms and stable UI.

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #899 of 1,526
did you check out any 4k youtube videos on it? yeah it was really stupid they had like the XA1 on display. I dont get why they would do that really dumb best buy we have here. Which state are you from in the USA?

yup 16:9 with smaller bezels would be perfect. This new aspect ratio is going to be a pain in the ass until everyone jumps on board if that happens.

yeah im mad at sony for not keeping up. It seems to me like they've gotten really slow ever since the z3 was a big hit. They've been slacking ever since. meanwhile the lgv30 is the first LG phone to ever impress me. I've never liked LG phones but the lgv30 has my attention because they improved all aspects of the phone.

HTC and google is more of a partnership rather than google just buying off HTC. which means they are cross sharing technologies together. Its kind of like Foxconn and Sharp were sharp still gets to keep its tech from Japan. This will mean a come back for sharp as well we might see them rise again.

But yeah, i feel like this will benefit google phones immensly. Once they change their design, get that HTC sound quality in it I'm not sure even Sony, Samsung or anyone else can compete with them since Google has the best camera algorithms and stable UI.

No. THAT would've been the smart thing to do, wouldn't it? LOL Maybe next time if I can go back I will. But I mean just the home screen alone looked IMMACULATE. Some say it is not always on 4K and some say it is. What I THINK it is is that it upscales non-4K images to 4K, which we know isn't the same thing as rendering actual 4K, but it comes close. So yeah, I will try to do that if I have time. But even if I don't, I still think it looked incredible.

Yeah at my Best Buy they had the XZ Premium, XA1, and another one in b/t them? Forgot which one it was. Might've been XZ, but I am not sure now. Might not. I'm in Illinois, specifically the Chicago suburbs. U? Not all Best Buys around me have the XZP, but the 2 closest to me just happened to. I wonder if they'll get the XZ1? If so, I may go check it out too if time permits. Love that it will have a full metal unibody like my 10. But I doubt it will top the XZP looks-wise. That might be the nicest phone I've seen yet.

Yeah it will take some time, which I don't like either. My cousin has a computer monitor at work that's 21:9, which I saw a pic of that he sent, and it does look pretty intense. Wide as F! lol I wouldn't be surprised if phones went that way down the line.

Yes, the LG V30 definitely got my attention too. But like with the XZP, b/c it's a phablet, I doubt I will want it. MAYBE the G7 next year? But a lot of it depends on what Sony and HTC put out next year. Google just bought a piece of HTC's smartphone business as you prob know by now, but they only really bought some of their phone team that worked on the Pixel, and also they have access to their patents too, but HTC is officially retaining their name for their phones and not closing/selling the smartphone business either, so there WILL be an HTC U12/12 I guess. But if it's a phablet then yeah either Sony or LG. Obviously audio is a big factor. Will the U.S. G7 have the Quad DAC? Or will they be jagoffs and keep that off limits like they did with the U.S. G6? Will they bump up the headphone volume and DAC quality? We will see.

That's cool about Foxconn and Sharp.

You make a good point there. Though I'm not a big fan of the Pixel's design/looks, this could potentially make them even bigger standouts b/c of HTC's audio quality, and yes, if they change to HTC's design quality too. That is a great point actually. Anything that makes ppl realize how OVERRATED SamDUNG is, I'll be happy. lol

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #900 of 1,526
This Head-Fi'er's review of the XZ Premium's headphone audio vs. the $300 Sony Walkman says it's close but not AS detailed or loud. I was hoping it was at least as detailed. So I'm guessing the XZ1's audio is the same then. Ughh, come on Sony! lol

Update: GSM Arena basically said the same thing:

• Just like most other recent Sony stereo setups, the one in the XZ1 isn't particularly loud. Still, it is a lot better for multimedia consumption than a mono alternative and the balanced speakers sound particularly nice.
  • Audio quality through the analog jack is only average in terms of both loudness and clarity.
Ya know, I GET that Sony doesn't want the Xperia phones to outdo their $300 Walkman line, but they need to get real and with the times. This isn't 2007, it's 2017. People prefer to listen to music on their phones more than ever vs. a DAP, so there's no point in competing anymore. What Sony SHOULD do if they were smart would be to either discontinue the $300 Walkman line altogether and just "port" that tech over to their Xperias, or else just give the Xperias that tech anyway and let people decide if they want a phone or Walkman. In 2014 it was ok for them to not to do that b/c they didn't have any serious competition on the audio front. LG was CRAP for audio back then, and HTC was only competitive on speakers, not headphone audio. I know b/c when I compared my M8 to the Z3 I got months later, the Z3 was slightly better overall there. But now in 2017, LG and HTC are the reigning headphone audio CHAMPS, and Sony hasn't really done much to compete. That needs to change, PRONTO!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back