Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Feb 11, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #61 of 1,526
  i can agree with that. 

i feel like we've gotten to a point where most smartphoen cameras are good enough nowdays. 

Also, already people saying Sonys new sensor is not necessary. 

Yeah..............we're definitely reaching the limit it seems in terms of quality. I know they'll prob release 8K TVs in a few years, but I have little reason to believe they will even matter. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #62 of 1,526
  NAH, smartphone cameras are way off from being ideal, the only time where they cut it is in broad daylight, even indoors in day time the image quality is severely degraded. Video quality still has a lot to improve, the only time I've ever been impressed in a smartphone camera was 2014 note 4 overall performance, 2015 nexus 6p low light, and xz video stabilization. Even then, none of these phones can even compare to a decent point and shoot though. The sony rx100 (original) is now going for super cheap second hand, and it completely destroys every phone in picture and video quality

Well the only way these smartphone cameras are gonna REALLY give you "expensive camera" quality pics is if they make changes to them that they probably can't, at least in part b/c of there not being a "big enough bump" on the camera lens. But maybe they can find a way around that? All I can say is I've taken some AMAZING pics on recent smartphones (including my old Z3) that were just spectacular. I will agree that in low light there still is room for improvement, but I think that OVERALL the cameras that smartphones use are at about the best that they're gonna be considering the "confines" of the smartphone camera arena. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #63 of 1,526
  NAH, smartphone cameras are way off from being ideal, the only time where they cut it is in broad daylight, even indoors in day time the image quality is severely degraded. Video quality still has a lot to improve, the only time I've ever been impressed in a smartphone camera was 2014 note 4 overall performance, 2015 nexus 6p low light, and xz video stabilization. Even then, none of these phones can even compare to a decent point and shoot though. The sony rx100 (original) is now going for super cheap second hand, and it completely destroys every phone in picture and video quality

without a doubt.

SMartphone cameras have inherent qualities because of how small their sensor size is. Sony and a few others have sensors which are the biggest at 1/2.3 which is not even half yet. Point and shoto like the rx100 have one inch sensors I believe. 

There is a long ways to go for sure. i think the biggest improvements will be graphene sensors and smarter software. But yeah, there are limitations for cameras of this size. However, what's impressive is what they are capable of doing for their size like the phones you mentioned. 

doesnt the google pixel have better low light than 6p?

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #64 of 1,526

Well the only way these smartphone cameras are gonna REALLY give you "expensive camera" quality pics is if they make changes to them that they probably can't, at least in part b/c of there not being a "big enough bump" on the camera lens. But maybe they can find a way around that? All I can say is I've taken some AMAZING pics on recent smartphones (including my old Z3) that were just spectacular. I will agree that in low light there still is room for improvement, but I think that OVERALL the cameras that smartphones use are at about the best that they're gonna be considering the "confines" of the smartphone camera arena. 

Eh... I'm pretty picky about image quality, even in BROAD daylight outdoors or with LED lighting, I can clearly see noise in the images when I zoom in, but they are definitely more than enough for general usage though.

There are some smartphones with large sensors and huge camera humps like the panasonic cm1.... but spec wise it is very outdated and has a laggy interface

without a doubt.

SMartphone cameras have inherent qualities because of how small their sensor size is. Sony and a few others have sensors which are the biggest at 1/2.3 which is not even half yet. Point and shoto like the rx100 have one inch sensors I believe. 

There is a long ways to go for sure. i think the biggest improvements will be graphene sensors and smarter software. But yeah, there are limitations for cameras of this size. However, what's impressive is what they are capable of doing for their size like the phones you mentioned. 

doesnt the google pixel have better low light than 6p?

I think graphene sensors are great and all, but we always hear about the magical GRAPHENE sensors, batteries, transistors, etc, yet graphene is far from ready. Yeah they are good for their size, a point and shoot using the same sensor size as a smartphone will not have better image quality so it's just sensor size.

The pixel's hdr underexposes images for greater dynamic range, so low light performance suffers quite a bit, esp indoors. You can turn off auto hdr but then it really degrades the image quality so you are stuck with 2 trade offs

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #66 of 1,526
  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-HA-FXT90-Twin-System-HD-High-Definition-Sound-Headphones-Earphone-Headset/252749953645

thoughts on this?

Not sure really. Never tried any JVC earphones or headphones. But I did a quick look on Google and overall the reviews for it are pretty favorable. 

I guess for $35, they might be worth a try?

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #67 of 1,526
  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-HA-FXT90-Twin-System-HD-High-Definition-Sound-Headphones-Earphone-Headset/252749953645

thoughts on this?

jvc=bass. That's what they are known for. I gave you a list of recommendations some time ago and a trustworthy website that reviews many iems. If you love BASS then maybe you might like them

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #68 of 1,526

thoughts on this?

There were also these Zero earphones I'd told you about. I'd prob prefer trying them out over the JVC ones. 

With regards to the bass level, the review says: "The best part about the Tenores’ sound, though, is that there’s no downside to their bass bump: it’s so well controlled that it never bleeds over into disrupting the mids or making other parts of a recording sound veiled or recessed."

And the price is only about $7 more than the JVC ones. But again it's up to you aertus. lol

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #69 of 1,526

There were also these Zero earphones I'd told you about. I'd prob prefer trying them out over the JVC ones. 

With regards to the bass level, the review says: "The best part about the Tenores’ sound, though, is that there’s no downside to their bass bump: it’s so well controlled that it never bleeds over into disrupting the mids or making other parts of a recording sound veiled or recessed."

And the price is only about $7 more than the JVC ones. But again it's up to you aertus. lol

I said it before, but they really aren't that great. Very overhyped iems, the same can be said to the DUNU iems (the ones I always make the puns about). There are better options than either in that price range 

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #70 of 1,526
  I said it before, but they really aren't that great. Very overhyped iems, the same can be said to the DUNU iems (the ones I always make the puns about). There are better options than either in that price range 

Ok. I don't remember seeing a post from you about them, but whatever. Aertus, just go with what he says. lol 

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #72 of 1,526
I DUNU what iems you tried but the re400 presents amazing value at $50. I sent him a super long list some time ago

Those look pretty nice!

For a few years I owned these V-Moda earphones. They have since been discontinued. The price ranged from $25-$35. I thought they sounded great, but like most earphones, they'd go bad within a year or so, so I kept buyin' new ones. Finally about 3-5 years ago I gave up on 'em. That's about it for ones I've tried. lol Though I did get my mom a Sennheiser one for about $40-$50, but those went bad on one side too. That's part of the reason why I'll never go back to IEMs...........they just seem to break too easy. And also I don't think they compare to headphones. Maybe if you buy really pricey ones they'll last longer, but I dunno. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #73 of 1,526
Those look pretty nice!

For a few years I owned these V-Moda earphones. They have since been discontinued. The price ranged from $25-$35. I thought they sounded great, but like most earphones, they'd go bad within a year or so, so I kept buyin' new ones. Finally about 3-5 years ago I gave up on 'em. That's about it for ones I've tried. lol Though I did get my mom a Sennheiser one for about $40-$50, but those went bad on one side too. That's part of the reason why I'll never go back to IEMs...........they just seem to break too easy. And also I don't think they compare to headphones. Maybe if you buy really pricey ones they'll last longer, but I dunno. 

Once you start spending $200+ on a larger iem, especially an iem with a detatchable cable, the build quality goes up substantially. They can last 4 years easily as long as you don't shove them in your pocket (use the carrying case). I tried the $100 sennheiser momentum iems that are praised a lot and I can tell you to stay away from them, they are overrated and have a terrible v shape. Sennheiser is better off sticking with headphones lol, I DUNU about the vmodas but most of their products are v shaped

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #74 of 1,526
Once you start spending $200+ on a larger iem, especially an iem with a detatchable cable, the build quality goes up substantially. They can last 4 years easily as long as you don't shove them in your pocket (use the carrying case). I tried the $100 sennheiser momentum iems that are praised a lot and I can tell you to stay away from them, they are overrated and have a terrible v shape. Sennheiser is better off sticking with headphones lol, I DUNU about the vmodas but most of their products are v shaped

Yeah, I'm sure it does. I've never tried any that were over $50 though. lol 

Yeah I've heard the Momentum headphones were v-shaped too, so I'm not surprised. lol 

Yeah I've heard that too about the V-Moda headphones. At the time I loved my V-Moda IEMs though, but I also thought headphones were lame at the time too, so clearly I've evolved. LOL 
L3000.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #75 of 1,526
is v-shape automatically bad. 

akg you did send me a long list I haven't forgotten them. it's just that a lot of the stuff you send me is really obscure stuff I've never heard of xd. If they have good return policies i'll check them out.  My friends usually rate the sennheiser cx 2 the ones you get cheap for 30 dollars or whatever. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back