Sony ESxx
Nov 27, 2001 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

roll-man

100+ Head-Fier
I called Tara Labs today with a question regarding one of their cables (I have an application that requires some custom termination and I was getting some input). I ended up speaking to an engineer with an Australian accent named Gary. Very nice guy. At one point he asked what my source was. I told him it was my Rotel CDP. He paused and then made a comment about making sure I don't "overbuy" because "too much resolution might actually cause me to hear something I don't like". Point well taken and actually refreshing to have someone not automatically suggest something that's more money...Anyhow, at that point I asked "which CD player would you justify your very high end cable for?" to which he replied Sony ES series. He went on to say that I'd be hard pressed to find anything better in that price range. Does anyone have any experience with this line of players?

Nov 27, 2001 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 12
Do a search for "333ES" and I'm sure you'll get a few hits
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2001 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 12
Look at my avatar and see if I don't love my Sony DVP-9000ES to death.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm running a pair of Totem Acoustic Sinews (don't even try looking for these, not easy to find
wink.gif
) with my big blue eyed baby right now to my RKV MKII, which I believe are very transparent cables. I do have some Musical Fidelity Nu Vistas coming in though so we'll see what all that hype about pure silver is all about.
cool.gif

Nov 28, 2001 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
I do have some Musical Fidelity Nu Vistas coming in though so we'll see what all that hype about pure silver is all about.

Ooh, I've been drooling over those. Please do report.

PS Silver takes extra long break-in time.

Nov 28, 2001 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 12
Yes Dusty I've been drooling about them ever since I laid eyes on them...I finally just posted an ad on Audiogon for em and got a deal for not one, but two of em.
biggrin.gif

BTW I rarely see them popping up used on Audiogon, and it's as if my ad refreshed people's memories that they still had some Nu Vistas thrown way deep in their closet or something cause all of a sudden I've seen two pairs come up on sale. If you even want to consider them I'd actually suggest you just nab one of the pairs on Audiogon right now...the last opportunity I had to get one was a good 4-5 months ago, when Audioadvisor had a demo pair for $150. I'm still beating myself over the head for not getting that one...and ever since then I haven't seen them come up for sale used or new.

Nov 28, 2001 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

I'm running a pair of Totem Acoustic Sinews (don't even try looking for these, not easy to find )

t-p-art.jpg

logo-art.jpg

sinew-inter-full.jpg

Is that the same Totem Acoustic Canadian speaker company?
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2001 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 12
bootman, yes those are my interconnects. Now head out to your local dealers and/or the internet and see if you can buy a pair within a day. You probably can't.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I didn't even know they existed until my local dealer brought them up.

As for the avatars, that's kudos to Flumpus.
cool.gif

Nov 28, 2001 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
...posted an ad on Audiogon for em and got a deal for not one, but two of em.

A pair! That's good, I always prefer my cables in matched pairs, since I listen in stereo.

j/k...

Thanks for the pointer, but I'm in no rush, I'd prefer to hear your reactions first. Need to sell some ****, first. Well, not literally **** -- head-fi plug/homepage plug...

Nov 28, 2001 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

bootman, yes those are my interconnects. Now head out to your local dealers and/or the internet and see if you can buy a pair within a day. You probably can't. I didn't even know they existed until my local dealer brought them up.

Already tried!
wink.gif

There seems to be no official US dealers for Totem.
(at least none listed on the Totem website.)

Have you reviewed them?
I don't recall you mentioning them before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back