Sony DVP-S9000es: oh my goodness!
Mar 5, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #16 of 18
It sounds wonderful, especially with SACDs. To tell you the truth I have been kind of disappointed with SACD performance on the 333es. The 9000 sounds almost analog with those things (steady now, I said almost).

My poor 963sa has been pushed aside already. I will have to hook it up and do lsome comparisons this weekend. The 963 gets points for liberal use of blue and white LEDs, but it just feels like a piece of folded sheet metal when I push a button on it, while the Sony feels like it is machined out of a solid block of aluminum. This has squat to do with the sound, but sure makes the 9000 fun to use!

Oh, a thought on the resonant feel of the 963sa. I intend to get a glass top cut for it. This will add both stiffness and mass. It will improve the feel of the player, and should mesh nicely with the looks. Don't know what to do about those plastic end caps yet. I am thinking that there is a market for an improved cabinet and chassis for that thing. otoh Philips is bound to be coming out with a new flagship model (something1000). It may have an improved structure.

Oh, and the moral of this story, always keep an eye open for clearance tables! I usually luck into a deal like this every year or two. Then again, maybe it wasn't such a deal. No owners manual.

gerG

Mar 5, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by gerG
No owners manual.

Welcome to Sony DAPC:
http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/

Sometimes Sony has these things on hand, sometimes not.

TravelLite

Mar 5, 2003 at 3:42 AM Post #18 of 18
Thanks TravelLite!

I intend to go check with the store first. I have had similar experiences in the past, and have found that they typically have file cabinets full of manuals, but don't want to take the time to rummage for them. I, on the other hand, am quite accustomed to wasting hours rummaging through files looking for a specific manual.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back