Sony DVP-NS755P DVD/SACD Player
Jan 19, 2003 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Maxvla

Headphoneus Supremus
looking ahead to purchase a beginners hifi source. this is the cheapest SACD player i could find at 249 retail. i have a source ( http://www.pricesrite.com/dvpns755v.html ) that has it for 206 plus 25ish shipping bringing the total to about 230.

my question is this... i just bought my HD580s a couple weeks ago and i'm getting annoyed cause my sources sound like crap. would this be a good unit to start out with? i love that its a dvd player as well cause i needed one that wasn't in my computer.

i won't be able to buy this any time soon.. probly in 2-3 months. i'm just shopping and getting opinions.

my budget is up to about 250.... 300 only if its a killer deal.

thanks for the help.

edit: here's a large pic: http://store5.yimg.com/I/pricesrite_1725_15569004

Jan 19, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 15
I don't have this player and I have never used it.
I just wanted to comment on the company you are considering buying it from.
I strongly suggest you look into them a little further.
They operate under the following names:
pricesrite.com, dealznet.com, hypaudio.com, and lgdsuperstore.com

You can check them out a www.resellerratings.com

Jan 19, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 15
yeah i wasn't completely sold on them either. i could go J+R for about 250 total. probly worth the extra.

Jan 19, 2003 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 15
J+R has their "email me a better price" thing at 219. making this almost bargain material.

wonder how long that price lasts.

Jan 19, 2003 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by sonicthewebhog
Best buy has this player for 189.99 I do believe

frown.gif

finding prices is ok but since i'm not buying this til a month or two i'm really just asking advice about the player or other players you guys think i should check out.

Jan 19, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 15
Nobody answered the question... is this a good unit? I'm thinking about picking one up myself. Is it good for cd as well as SACD?

Jan 21, 2003 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 15
I'm wondering how good the DVD quality is. I don't own any SACDs and havn't seen any good ones that I plan on buying but I'd get this player if it played DVDs Really Really well and the CD quality was fantastic.

If anyone ever used this for DVD's...tell me how good the quality is. Just average DVD player quality, great quality, fantastic, or peeing in my pants cuz I'm over joyed - quality...?

Same goes for the CD sound quality: good, great, fantastic, or peeing in pants.

Jan 21, 2003 at 8:57 AM Post #9 of 15
doesn't seem like anyone has this unit. thus the lack of any comments.

if i had the money right now i would take the plunge. then review it for you guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2003 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Maxvla
doesn't seem like anyone has this unit. thus the lack of any comments.

if i had the money right now i would take the plunge. then review it for you guys
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm torn between getting this or a NAD 541i. I like all the formats the Sony can play... but I've been getting more into higher end audio and have been leaning towards the NAD. Can't make up my mind. Someone has mentioned a new Phillips player for around $400 that is really good?

Jan 21, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 15
I would suggest not going this route. I came very close to gettign this player as a quick and cheap solution to get decent sound. I have talked to quite a few people who have good experience with sources.

Spend $269 on a NAD 521c .. Im only going by what ive been told but it should be out of the sony's league as far as audio goes.

If you want a dvd player to hook up to your tv get an el/cheapo .. I can tell dvd's arent a priority to you (seeing that you do not have one yet for your tv) so having a "quality" one should not be much of a concern.

So for around $330 bux you can get an el cheapo dvd player and the NAD 521.. Have much better sound and dvd playing capabilities with your player.

Same deal with the new phillips. A 400 dollar dvd player.. Not a 400 dollar cd player... Upsampling technology is badass, but without quality components in addition to the badass technology, you loose overall.

If you want the player generally only for an audio source... Please do not get a dvd player.

Jan 21, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 15
Jan 23, 2003 at 9:41 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by richpjr
How does the NS755V sound compared to the older NS500V?

dunno but the 755 can play mp3s and the 500 can't.

thats one feature i can remember off the top of my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back