Sony cell phones vs. LG phones
Jun 29, 2022 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JJF_888

Head-Fier
I use Tracfone for my carrier as I am off-grid with no cell service and just need for traveling. Want to consolidate down from having to carry a DAP and cell phone and am wondering if the steep price of the Sony phones is in any way justified against getting something like a LG V60.

Jun 29, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 9
Unless I'm mistaken, the current Sony Xperia doesn't use a dedicated DAC chip--just the integrated one on the Qualcomm. The V60 (which I own), uses the ESS Sabre ES9219 Quad DAC. In terms of wired sound quality, having not heard the Sony, I can only assume the LG would surpass it.

The Sony, however, supports LDAC--so if you're looking for that codec, the LG doesn't have it. But I assume if you're coming from a DAP, you're looking for a wired solution.

In terms of overall use, the new Xperia seems more video focused--I think you can even use it as an external screen for a camera or something.

Jun 29, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 9
Unless I'm mistaken, the current Sony Xperia doesn't use a dedicated DAC chip--just the integrated one on the Qualcomm. The V60 (which I own), uses the ESS Sabre ES9219 Quad DAC. In terms of wired sound quality, having not heard the Sony, I can only assume the LG would surpass it.

The Sony, however, supports LDAC--so if you're looking for that codec, the LG doesn't have it. But I assume if you're coming from a DAP, you're looking for a wired solution.

In terms of overall use, the new Xperia seems more video focused--I think you can even use it as an external screen for a camera or something.
Thanks. Sony may not want to encroach on the market for their DAP's by making their cell phones too good in the audio department. The camera does look great though.

Jun 29, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 9
I think you might have hit the nail on the head. Real world usage, I'm sure Sony sounds just fine--if it were the cheaper option, I'd say go for it. The camera on the V60 is no slouch either!

Jun 29, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 9
I think you might have hit the nail on the head. Real world usage, I'm sure Sony sounds just fine--if it were the cheaper option, I'd say go for it. The camera on the V60 is no slouch either!
I have this weird dance between seeking best in class single-purpose devices and then wanting a great integrated package. I use a Leica Dlux camera but even that is not worth carrying some times. Will check on the camera of the V60.

Jun 30, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 9
Well, I ordered a Sony Xperia 5 III. The amount of hoops needed to get my BB on a network were not worth it and I was a bit leery on how long the LG V60 will have network coverage and this opened me to take a chance on the Sony. Will report what I find.

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #7 of 9
Well, Fedex was supposed to overnight deliver Friday but never did. So, that gave me the feeling that this is not the direction to be going in, I did some more digging into the Sony, and especially as the Sony phone is much more geared up for video rather than audio, I had Fedex return the item to the seller.

And I found that Mint Mobile supports having the Blackberry Key Two on their network. For how long, no one can ever tell, but at least the BB is an old friend by now and has superb audio. And I get to keep the $$ in my pocket for something else. If Mint Mobile doesn't work out, I will grab a V60 and give that a go.

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #8 of 9

Otherwise, since Oreo (Android 8), every Android device have LDAC.
You can enable LDAC by going in developper options :
1258113-1e350e76ab027d26ae3cc3b421837db6.jpg

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #9 of 9

Otherwise, since Oreo (Android 8), every Android device have LDAC.
You can enable LDAC by going in developper options :

Thanks, I didn't know that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back