Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Mar 6, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #1,516 of 1,526
Even if they applied their own camera division tech, it would not come close to surpassing their own high end cameras. That makes no sense, with that logic, the rx100 compacts would be on par with the A7 full frames. Yet that is not the case, the rx100 with a 1" sensor is completely outmatched by the A7. Now a phone camera with an even tinier sensor and tiny lens..... yeah apply the math there.... Seems to me that sony just doesn't care about their mobile division and made a quick excuse

The collab with light seems more like a marketing stunt more than anything else, they have not showcased anything regarding this "light collaboration." The light camera called L16 was terrible, yet nokia somehow managed to do it right, seems to me that nokia just had a superior processing method, with their custom ASIC and mobile experience. Sony on the other hand is using 3 sensors of all different focal lengths, this means the pictures cannot be combined for 1 high quality image, the way nokia does it. It simply means sony can apply a bokeh effect, which every other phone already does. Think about it again, the camera setup is identical to the s10. The nokia 9 uses 5 identical sensors with all identical focal lengths, they didn't do that for no reason, clearly there's a reason that was required, and it's to stitch 5 exact photos for 1 higher quality one.
Sony's choices really confuses me. i feel like the xperia might be dead on arrival if not for the camera maybe for the ridiculously tall phone. I dont know who makes the decisions at Sony but they seem to have really idiotic managment.

which confuses me because when i tell people sony is a world industry leader in camera technology , professioanal display monitors used by hollywood, and lithium ion batteries used by samsung as well as portal music player. Im actually not too worried about the display i think its prob really good as per according to xz3 reviews the xz3 was the best display together with the note 9 and some even said better than the note 9. So the display should be really good.

but they seem to lack in putting the package together in a cohesive really nice design that can compete with others. Samsung definitely has the design down.

I think the s10e is where its at right now. 750 dollars cheaper than competition with a very nice design. That or the nokia 9 is where its at. I think HTC is prob dead already. Google pixel can f off

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #1,517 of 1,526
s10e was actually very nice to use, just a bit small. The display was similar to my 5.2" htc 10, just taller, that's because the longer aspect ratio exaggerates the actual screen sizes. The fact that they made 128gb as a BASE model for their cheapest phone really sets a standard that now even apple is pressured to do now. The only issue is that none of these new phones announced, including s10+ use the new UFS 3.0, so everyone can suck it. And as for htc, the exodus was the biggest flop in htc history, no one even knows nor cares about it. Google is a joke, and they're announcing a "budget" pixel with only 32gb storage and 3gb ram for $450-500~, no sd card mind you. Google has always been a joke since they killed the nexus line. Nokia 9 is the winner of cameras but has too many issues (no 855, no sd card slot, no headphone jack, no gorilla glass 6, no ultrasonic fingerprint scanner, 128gb ufs 2.1 with no higher capacity, the battery isn't that large). Really the camera and clean software is the only things that makes it good. Oneplus wins in value and speed so I can count on their next phone being great. Maybe if they use the OPPO x10 zoom, the camera can be superb as well (not nokia levels though).

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #1,518 of 1,526
sony fanboys unite! LMAO
I am actually a sony fanboy in terms of their actual cameras. The A7 line is hands down the best cameras under $3000, no questions asked, very good value. The only problem is the lack of a viewfinder that can face the opposite direction that canon/nikon offers.

and as for sony mobile? IDK what the hell they did, but obviously they ain't as bright as the camera division LOL. Literally because the low light always suffers VS the competition.

Sony quote:
" three 12-megapixel cameras will provide us with much better quality than one 48-megapixel camera"

That's what I've always said since day 1, but sony always insisted in stubbornly sticking to their 21mp sensors, they eventually switched to a new 19mp sensor, but it was still tiny compared to the competition with much larger 12mp sensors. Now sony finally plays catch up with last gen.... dunno. the camera setup is identical to s10+, nothing more. If sony wants to win, they need to price lower, or bring their actual camera division into this (what happened to the pixel shift tech on the A7R?), because so far, it has been a yawn. Nokia on the other hand, a much smaller company that has been on hiatus forever, nailed it with the nokia 9. Shows who is thinking right

Yeah the A7 looks pretty sick. Wow, $3000? That's a HELL of a compliment AKG! lol

Ok well, I'm VERY GLAD to hear that you agree with their decision to incorporate 3 12-MP cameras vs the one 48 MP one they were gonna put on the XZ4/1. If that will result in better pictures, then so be it!!

Well let's hope then if the camera setup is identical to the S10+ that Sony's SOFTWARE is a step-up then vs. the competition.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #1,519 of 1,526
https://www.androidauthority.com/sony-smartphone-cameras-quality-962358/

“Even though we’re one company, there are still sometimes barriers that Alpha doesn’t want to give Mobile certain things, because all of a sudden you have the same as what a 3,000 pound camera’s got,” Marsh told the outlet.

dang so finally SOny admitted this. Something we've kind of been speculating for a while Sony mobile having issues with collaborating with their music, pro camera, and im guessing perharps even display sectors. I think Yoshida has been forcing and making great strives for all the different branches to collaborate with together. I feel like they are in right in that they dont want to compete with their premium brands. That's why they should make something better than competition but not up to the level of their premium goods

Sony has the technology to outdo Huawei in phones but all this time they were holding back intentionally. The collaboration with Light is going to be an insane game changer.

Right now there is nothing wrong with Sony technology wise. I think what Samsung has shown us just how much money and talent they have when it comes to design they are probably employing an insane amount of designers or are hiring the best designers. Because im sorry to say this but the s10 lineup just looks way better than this tall as display ratio.

heck even a 19:9 like Samsung would have been perfect no need for such tallness. Oneplus will be showcasing a 21:9 aspect ratio and watch them somehow do it better than sony. Sony just needs better design team period so they can get something that appeals to a wide audience. I feel like they are intentionally making SOny mobile fit into a niche market.

It's great that they finally have acknowledged this cuz we all knew they COULD be better, and now they themselves have confirmed, and more importantly, have taken steps to resolve it as well!

So that's 2 out of 3.........leaving only music left. lol First up, how about getting rid of the "Music" app, aka the most generic sounding BS ever lol, and bringing back the Walkman name? Then, taking steps to improve the amp/DAC inside. By that I mean including a separate DEDICATED DAC like HTC did on the HTC 10 and Samsung does on their int'l Exynos phones, which use the awesome Cirrus Logic DACs. Sony itself started focusing on audio when it began, so this should be reflected in its Xperia line as well. At least the flagships anyway.

Yes, they can do both. They don't have to utilize EVERYTHING that their premium "departments" offer, but they can surely utilize MORE of their technology and knowledge. Like with OIS............EVERY F'ING FLAGSHIP PHONE out there offers OIS, so by excluding it for all these years, Sony wasn't even competing with its competitors as fiercely as those competitors were with one another. It was so stupid to think they would prevail over the likes of Apple and Samsung by not bringing their A-Game.

Yeah I'm very happy to hear that about Light. Though I wonder if that means I should wait or just get the Xperia 1 and keep it assuming it can at least outdo my OnePlus 6T with GCam? What do you guys think?

I actually like the 21:9 ratio design. Some people are insinuating that it won't fit right in your hands, or your pockets, but this post on xperiablog put my mind at ease:

"On paper, the feeling is that while these super-tall displays might feel good in the hand, they could be a bit cumbersome in daily use given the length – particularly in trouser or jacket pockets. However, those that have used the Xperia 1 or 10 series show surprise (in) how easy it is to get used to, and the extra screen real estate is welcome, particularly for multitasking."

Worries? Gone. lol

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #1,520 of 1,526
Even if they applied their own camera division tech, it would not come close to surpassing their own high end cameras. That makes no sense, with that logic, the rx100 compacts would be on par with the A7 full frames. Yet that is not the case, the rx100 with a 1" sensor is completely outmatched by the A7. Now a phone camera with an even tinier sensor and tiny lens..... yeah apply the math there.... Seems to me that sony just doesn't care about their mobile division and made a quick excuse

The collab with light seems more like a marketing stunt more than anything else, they have not showcased anything regarding this "light collaboration." The light camera called L16 was terrible, yet nokia somehow managed to do it right, seems to me that nokia just had a superior processing method, with their custom ASIC and mobile experience. Sony on the other hand is using 3 sensors of all different focal lengths, this means the pictures cannot be combined for 1 high quality image, the way nokia does it. It simply means sony can apply a bokeh effect, which every other phone already does. Think about it again, the camera setup is identical to the s10. The nokia 9 uses 5 identical sensors with all identical focal lengths, they didn't do that for no reason, clearly there's a reason that was required, and it's to stitch 5 exact photos for 1 higher quality one.

And that is why they shouldn't hold back on giving Mobile more of their camera tech. lol They need to give Mobile enough to at least have a real shot of outdoing their phone competitors. People are not gonna know how great Sony's cameras are JUST on reputation alone. It needs to go further...............and by that I mean their phones need to have great cameras too, or else the reputation of their camera division suffers too. It must be awesome across the board.

Yeah I'd prefer it that the 3 cameras worked together instead of separately, but then again, look what Google did with their single-lensed Pixel cameras? I'm hoping Sony could pull off something like that as well.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #1,521 of 1,526
Sony's choices really confuses me. i feel like the xperia might be dead on arrival if not for the camera maybe for the ridiculously tall phone. I dont know who makes the decisions at Sony but they seem to have really idiotic managment.

which confuses me because when i tell people sony is a world industry leader in camera technology , professioanal display monitors used by hollywood, and lithium ion batteries used by samsung as well as portal music player. Im actually not too worried about the display i think its prob really good as per according to xz3 reviews the xz3 was the best display together with the note 9 and some even said better than the note 9. So the display should be really good.

but they seem to lack in putting the package together in a cohesive really nice design that can compete with others. Samsung definitely has the design down.

I think the s10e is where its at right now. 750 dollars cheaper than competition with a very nice design. That or the nokia 9 is where its at. I think HTC is prob dead already. Google pixel can f off

Yeah the display will be great. I have the LEAST amount of doubt about that! I had the XZ3 for 2 weeks and that display was gorgeous. And the 1 being a (somewhat nearly) 4K HDR display will for sure look even better! On battery life, not worried either. And your statement about telling ppl Sony is a world leader in camera technology, this again goes back to my point I just made a bit earlier tonight that by being under par all these years, Sony has ended up UNDERWHELMING the greatness of their camera dept. Most ppl don't have the money to buy an $800 or $3000 camera, but we pretty much ALL have smartphones these days. So by being under par for all these years on the Xperia cameras, Sony probably swayed ppl who might've bought these high quality cameras to go elsewhere after being misled by the Xperia cameras. Yup! lol

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #1,522 of 1,526
s10e was actually very nice to use, just a bit small. The display was similar to my 5.2" htc 10, just taller, that's because the longer aspect ratio exaggerates the actual screen sizes. The fact that they made 128gb as a BASE model for their cheapest phone really sets a standard that now even apple is pressured to do now. The only issue is that none of these new phones announced, including s10+ use the new UFS 3.0, so everyone can suck it. And as for htc, the exodus was the biggest flop in htc history, no one even knows nor cares about it. Google is a joke, and they're announcing a "budget" pixel with only 32gb storage and 3gb ram for $450-500~, no sd card mind you. Google has always been a joke since they killed the nexus line. Nokia 9 is the winner of cameras but has too many issues (no 855, no sd card slot, no headphone jack, no gorilla glass 6, no ultrasonic fingerprint scanner, 128gb ufs 2.1 with no higher capacity, the battery isn't that large). Really the camera and clean software is the only things that makes it good. Oneplus wins in value and speed so I can count on their next phone being great. Maybe if they use the OPPO x10 zoom, the camera can be superb as well (not nokia levels though).

I hope that move DOES put pressure on Apple to lower its base model down to 128 from 256. With the prices they charge, EVERY LITTLE BIT counts! Esp now with increased competition from Huawei, and others.

It sux that there isn't a PERFECT phone out there. Though maybe the 1 will be??! :ksc75smile:

Apr 18, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #1,525 of 1,526

So aertus, did you end up getting the S10e? Or was the no-UFS 3.0 issue too big a factor to ignore? lol

If not, what're you gonna get to replace your Sony Compact phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back