Sonica theater V. Audigy 2nx
Aug 23, 2004 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dachows

New Head-Fier
I recently sold my desktop comp because I didn't use it much. But, now I have nothing to drive my klipsh ultra 5.1's with. I have tried a search but haven't really found anything that answers my question. My laptop (fujitsu p5020D if it helps), has usb 2.0 and a optical digital out. At the moment these two devices are all that I have heard of. Are there any alternatives I am not aware of? If not which one is better for 5.1 movie watching in terms of heard sound quality? Thanks.

Aug 25, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 5
Terratec also sells an external sound card that uses firewire, and I think they may even have a usb 2.0 version too.

In any case, these external sound cards will be about the same level quality as their internal counterparts. So, the Terratec will sound about as good as the DMX-6 Fire, the M-Audio will sound about as good as the Revolution, and Creative's will sound about as good as an Audigy 2.

Creative gets pretty poor marks on sound quality -- the main advantage of using cards made by Creative is the enhanced sound effects in games.

I think either the Terratec or M-Audio card would fit your needs nicely.

Aug 26, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 5
Ah.. I c. Thanks for the tip. I'll order a sonica theater shortly.

So I'm guessing that the terrible 2 channel from the sonica is still better than the 2 channel audigy? :-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back