Something Different - Opinions sought
Nov 21, 2001 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

roll-man

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings,

A good friend of mine wanted me to get a little feedback on these interesting devices and thought that maybe some of you gamers, geeks, or otherwise might have some sort of experience/opinion. Chime in early and often...he's looking to get one of these for himself as a Christmas gift. Thanx.

Nov 21, 2001 at 8:40 AM Post #2 of 10
Nah, I don't think any of those are good options. The screen will be so close to your eyes. Imagine the damage done to your eyes everytime you CS.

Nov 21, 2001 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 10
Not personal experience, but I read a very good review of the Sony Glasstron's. The only bad thing the reviewer could say about it was that during one particularly...(I dunno, I didn't see the film, gruesome? sad?)...scene in Saving Private Ryan, he couldn't look away.

Nov 22, 2001 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 10
I've heard people complan about such displays... in that after you use them your vision is really distorted. Anyways, it would damage your sight rather quickly...

Nov 22, 2001 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 10
It's a very neat concept.....but, according to the above posts and some reviews I read a while back, there are some glitches that have to be smoothed out.....

Does anyone remember the silly Nintendo product that was made similar to these - tho with a cheap LCD instead of a color screen...........it was Nintendo's attempt at "Virtual Reality" for the masses, I guess..........failure........regardless.......... what WAS it called?

Nov 22, 2001 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
Does anyone remember the silly Nintendo product that was made similar to these - tho with a cheap LCD instead of a color screen...........it was Nintendo's attempt at "Virtual Reality" for the masses, I guess..........failure........regardless.......... what WAS it called?

Virtual Boy....nice name eh?

George

Nov 24, 2001 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 10
Oh, man, I'm rollin' over here.

Sim Eye XL100A. Looks like that guy is about to topple over from the size of that unit. I hear that if you wear one of these in public, it is scientifically proven to repel women and company in general.

Nov 24, 2001 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 10
my buddy called me and sais "ok, I decided which one I'm getting...it's the sim-eye" I looked and like you, was rolling on the floor with laughter...suffice to say, he was kidding. The specs on it are pretty amazing. I would think it's safe to say that that baby is NOT for your average consumer...

Nov 24, 2001 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 10
Sweet, somebody built a Calvin & Hobbes environment, that rocks!

We've got a similar class over here, but it's less inter-disciplinary and is based off the UT engine. I was a participant in its first few semesters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back