Some guys on another forum say the Audigy 2 is superior to the AV-710 for music...
Sep 18, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaou
I've run both the Audigy 2 ZS and the Chaintech (to my unamped HD580's and my Logitech speakers) and in my honest opinion, I didn't really notice any difference. Myabe I'm deaf, but to me, they both sounded pretty much exactly the same, and if there were any differences, they were negligable. But then again, I'm a simple man and easy to please, so take my observations for what they are.

And I don't like going by RMAA tests. They may give you an overall idea of how well the card performs, but it still is no match for good ole listening tests.

The resampling, though, is what kills the Audigy/Audigy 2 (ZS). It's not so much the fact that it's resampled, but the method of resampling is quite bad. If Creative were to fix that and maybe upgade the DAC's, I'm sure that the Audigy series of cards would be pleasing to many.

I'm sure you've heard/read this 1000 times, but those headphones require a very decent amp, and those speakers are total crap. You will not be able to hear the difference between those soundcards with that setup.

I don't think that creative will ever produce a consumer soundcard that will live up to audiophile standards, creative is not losing any market share towards other audiophile cards (creative also owns E-MU) so why would they bother? They will continue to make mass market multi channel cards with as many cheap features crammed into it as they can.

Sep 18, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
I'm sure you've heard/read this 1000 times, but those headphones require a very decent amp, and those speakers are total crap. You will not be able to hear the difference between those soundcards with that setup.

I wouldn't say the speakers are crap. Sure, they're only PC speakers, but they sound good enough for me. And I'm well aware of the amp requirement of my 580's, but I'm too lazy to spend the money on one. I came to the realization that I just want to listen to my music. Period. It doesn't have to sound the absolute best it possibly can. It just needs to sound good to me. My 580's just suck all the life out of my music (death and speed metal, some hard rock, classic rock). The speakers, as crappy as they may be, just have so much more rocking energy, and that's good enough for me.

But you're right about Creative not producing audiophile-quality Soundblaster cards. There's no need, as they own Emu. The Soundblaster cards, no matter how much Creative touts their specs, will always be mediocre as far as music reproduction is concerned, as strict music reproduction isn't the focus of the Soundblaster line. The Emu stuff, on the other hand, is for musicians and audiophiles who require uber hi-fi sound from their PC's.

Sep 18, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

My 580's just suck all the life out of my music (death and speed metal, some hard rock, classic rock). The speakers, as crappy as they may be, just have so much more rocking energy, and that's good enough for me.

Why don't you sell those HD580s and get some other ones which are better suited then?

Sep 18, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Why don't you sell those HD580s and get some other ones which are better suited then?

I second that. For your tastes, go Grado all the way. Try an SR-60 or SR-80.

Sep 18, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #22 of 26
I've contemplated getting a pair of Grados, but there are some other things I'd rather spend my money on at the moment. But rest assured, I will get a pair of Grados someday.

Speaking of Grados, given that they are of relatively low impedence, how well would the Chaintech power them on its own?

Sep 19, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #23 of 26
logitechs..crap..really depends. if you love bass, watch movies, yeah its good. but other than that....
plainface.gif

Sep 19, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Speaking of Grados, given that they are of relatively low impedence, how well would the Chaintech power them on its own?

Worse than high impedance cans. It has enough voltage output for many high impedance cans (max it gives out is 1.1Vrms), but because it's just line-out (straight to DAC output) it doesn't have enough current output which is what low impedance cans need badly.

Sep 20, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
I second that. For your tastes, go Grado all the way. Try an SR-60 or SR-80.

Or some non overpriced grado's aka, Allessandro MS-1
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back