[Solved] Sudden sibilance issues?
May 24, 2021 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Velvet73

New Head-Fier
One night I sat down to listen to an album I've listened to many times and the 's' sounds were painful. I've been having this issue for the past few days and I'm getting a little desperate. Here's an example of what I'm talking about at about 2:48. I'm listening with the Jotunheim 2 (Multibit) into the Hifiman Arya.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

May 25, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 8
The Arya has a peak around 4.5kHz and 9kHz making it sound bright at times. If it is a sudden change and you don't think it is your hearing being more sensitive now than before then it could be distortion. To me it sounds like the gain and volume settings aren't setup optimally or you have some sort of EQ on introducing distortion.

Is the sibilance on just one channel?
Are you listening using a balanced cable?

Try:

With nothing playing set the volume on your Jot to 0. Set the gain to low. Set the player volume on the PC to 90%. Gradually increase the volume on the Jot and see if the sibilance is gone. If this does not work repeat this step and use another gain setting and then cable if possible.

May 25, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 8
One night I sat down to listen to an album I've listened to many times and the 's' sounds were painful. I've been having this issue for the past few days and I'm getting a little desperate. Here's an example of what I'm talking about at about 2:48. I'm listening with the Jotunheim 2 (Multibit) into the Hifiman Arya.

Are things out in the world seeming to sound more annoying to you? If you have not had problems before with headphones being painful with sibilance then it might be something to have checked out.

May 26, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 8

If you've been listening to it with the Arya for long enough chances are you've worn down the earpads on those.

May 26, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 8
The Arya has a peak around 4.5kHz and 9kHz making it sound bright at times. If it is a sudden change and you don't think it is your hearing being more sensitive now than before then it could be distortion. To me it sounds like the gain and volume settings aren't setup optimally or you have some sort of EQ on introducing distortion.

Is the sibilance on just one channel?
Are you listening using a balanced cable?

Try:

With nothing playing set the volume on your Jot to 0. Set the gain to low. Set the player volume on the PC to 90%. Gradually increase the volume on the Jot and see if the sibilance is gone. If this does not work repeat this step and use another gain setting and then cable if possible.
It was a sudden change because I had been using this setup for months with the same EQ settings and had no sibilance problems. Lately it seems to have gotten better and I can listen to music without issue.
Are things out in the world seeming to sound more annoying to you? If you have not had problems before with headphones being painful with sibilance then it might be something to have checked out.
Now that I think about it things out in the world were sounding a bit more annoying and I did have a slight earache with a sort of light headed feeling. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 8
It could be also your mood/mental state.
For example, when I'm stressed, I'm more sensitive to sibilance and when not stressed, sibilance is no more a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back