[SOLVED] Acoustic Research AR M20 + Fiio E18 - Help
Oct 11, 2017 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

hifx

New Head-Fier
See Edit and Solution at Bottom of post.

Hey guys,

Apologies if a similar thread has been posted. Didn't see one. My situation may be somewhat unique. Looking for some help.

I have the Acoustic Research AR M20 DAP. For those familiar with the DAP, a (major) omission, in my opinion is track control buttons. The player only has volume control. While the player is in your pocket, there is no way to change playing tracks, unless you take the player out of your pocket, power on the screen, and manually tap to change track.

This is highly inconvenient for me, as I do a lot of commuting, and it's a major pain to continually take the player out of my pocket

So here is Part 2:

I bought the Fiio E18 solely for the purpose of the track control buttons, my hope was to connect the two, and the AR DAP would respond to the track control commands in my pocket. For the kind of IEMs I wear, I definitely do not need an amp (lol).

My issue is I can't seem to find an app that recognizes the Fiio DAC and responds to the track control buttons.

Issues:
  • Found an app called USB Audio Player PRO. BUT, because the DAP doesn't have Google Play, or Play Services installed, I can't purchase the app and have the licensed verified. I have already tried manually flashing Google Apps and Frameworks, to no avail. I have also tried contacting the app dev, who couldn't really help
  • I found HibyMusic, which, when paired with Flinky Music Controller Pro app, works sometimes. Most of the time, it just continually lags and crashes. So that's out
I am now using Neutron as my player. This successfully recognizes the Fiio connection to the DAP, but no track control.

There are apps out there like Pocket Skip or Smart Pocket, but those don't work.
Finally, I have tried button remapping software, but those require you to activate them in the accessibility options of the settings. For some ludicrous reason, the app doesn't show up in the Accessibility options to activate.

Any suggestions

Many thanks

EDIT: Solved this one. In case anyone was curious... I ended up rooting the AR M20. With root access, I then installed the Xposed Framework. With the Xposed Framework, I installed the "Physical Button Music Control" Module. With that, I was able to map the hardware volume buttons to track skipping, and leave volume control completely to the external Fiio DAC knob.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back