So I bought a Logitech z-2300 SUB ONLY, what are the best speakers to hook them up to?
Mar 13, 2010 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

a1strank

Head-Fier
So I bought a z-2300 sub..and I was wondering which pair of speakers are the best to hook them up to..and that has to be compatible of course ( I assume pretty much anything is compatible with it)...I was looking at the M-Audio AV40..are there any good alternatives? Price is cheap as possible..but also having great performance..I plan to hook these up to my computer and I mainly listen to music and light gaming. I am willing to spend more if the price is right and if it is worth it. Thanks for the suggestions. I might even pick up an AV30..money is kinda tight but I don't know which one is worth it
frown.gif

EDIT: I have an old school Pioneer SX-205 receiver that's just sitting around..maybe I can get some use out of it if I purchase some kind of bookshelf speakers?? Suggestions?? Thanks

SPEC for the receiver
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...s/SX-205?tab=B

Would it work with something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-...8470600&sr=1-1

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1strank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I bought a z-2300 sub..and I was wondering which pair of speakers are the best to hook them up to..and that has to be compatible of course ( I assume pretty much anything is compatible with it)...I was looking at the M-Audio AV40..are there any good alternatives? Price is cheap as possible..but also having great performance..I plan to hook these up to my computer and I mainly listen to music and light gaming. I am willing to spend more if the price is right and if it is worth it. Thanks for the suggestions. I might even pick up an AV30..money is kinda tight but I don't know which one is worth it
frown.gif

EDIT: I have an old school Pioneer SX-205 receiver that's just sitting around..maybe I can get some use out of it if I purchase some kind of bookshelf speakers?? Suggestions?? Thanks

SPEC for the receiver
Pioneer USA - SX-205 - A/V Receivers

Would it work with something like this?

Amazon.com: Sony SS-B1000 5 1/8-Inch Bookshelf Speakers (Pair): Electronics

Hmm... Although this is not a very difficult problem to solve, IMO- first, can you return the sub? If not, it's ok
smily_headphones1.gif

The issue is: the best compatible satellite speakers for the z2300 sub is it's original z2300 satellite speakers. Cuz if you decide to use this sub and pair it with any other speaker, I'm afraid that the crossover (in sub) won't work to your advantage for maximum sound quality... Because the crossover is currently at about 150hz or so. This means that anything you get, usually, would respond well below 150hz (example:most decent speakers will respond to about 90hz) ... So because the logitech crossover is at 150hz, then you'd be underusing and underpowering your satellites: which will yeild less than optimum sound quality.

Now luckily, you have solutions: 2 of them.
1. Get a splitter : y adapter for your RCA output (usually $5-10)... This will split your computer signal from one to two.
Then hook your logitech sub to one of them... Then you can get the av30 or av40 to the other one. Note: do NOT connect the av40 or av30 (or any powered speakers) to this sub... It'll probably blow them up.

2. This option is probably the best one: use your pioneer reciever. Hope it has spdif inputs: either optical or coaxil cable. Then connect the logitech sub to the reciever's sub-out. Then get some decent passive speakers - must be passive. Since you are hooking up to amp-reciever.

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 9
Suggestions for passive speakers: in your case, a decent pair of bookshelves:

Checkout audioengine ap4= $250 for pair. This is my suggestion if yourbudget fits- they are awesome deal for it's performance/ sq.

Or- next best is to look at your local craigslist. There are 100's of cmpanies that make passive bookshelves. Take your pick, then search local craigslist for good deals within your budget... And you MUST ensure the speakers are not blown or damaged when buyng from private sellers- there is no return policy! Good luck!

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LUCIDD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... Although this is not a very difficult problem to solve, IMO- first, can you return the sub? If not, it's ok
smily_headphones1.gif

The issue is: the best compatible satellite speakers for the z2300 sub is it's original z2300 satellite speakers. Cuz if you decide to use this sub and pair it with any other speaker, I'm afraid that the crossover (in sub) won't work to your advantage for maximum sound quality... Because the crossover is currently at about 150hz or so. This means that anything you get, usually, would respond well below 150hz (example:most decent speakers will respond to about 90hz) ... So because the logitech crossover is at 150hz, then you'd be underusing and underpowering your satellites: which will yeild less than optimum sound quality.

Now luckily, you have solutions: 2 of them.
1. Get a splitter : y adapter for your RCA output (usually $5-10)... This will split your computer signal from one to two.
Then hook your logitech sub to one of them... Then you can get the av30 or av40 to the other one. Note: do NOT connect the av40 or av30 (or any powered speakers) to this sub... It'll probably blow them up.

2. This option is probably the best one: use your pioneer reciever. Hope it has spdif inputs: either optical or coaxil cable. Then connect the logitech sub to the reciever's sub-out. Then get some decent passive speakers - must be passive. Since you are hooking up to amp-reciever.

Thanks for the reply..so it is OK to hook up powered sub to the receiver? Sorry I'm kinda dumb when it comes to home theater audio in general.

Mar 14, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1strank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply..so it is OK to hook up powered sub to the receiver? Sorry I'm kinda dumb when it comes to home theater audio in general.

yup,
Most receivers of your type [unless it is a htib type like Bose's stuff] -
Is designed to hook up to a set of Passive satellite speakers.
+ 1 powered subwoofer.

The Logitech sub you have is powered. You will most likely have to adapt your connection from your sub to the receiver. Currently it is most likely a 2 channel connector- 1/8" rca. You have to adapt it to your receiver's sub out - which looks like an old school style video cable connection [yellow] : like the red,black and yellow cables used to hook up older tv's.

Hope this makes sense.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 9
be careful. i have one z2200 logitech just the sub and have been offered over a grand for it. just the sub. i have 3 complete z2300 with all origanal. its not that hard to blow a z2300 speaker from the 23 sub. remem it is a comp speakers. i do my own music on comp and put it to cd. but i like to listen to it from comp. and i only do music loud. i got a klisph 2.1 and took it back next day. should be called a coon box. its all bass. then got a log z623. both are jokes but remem they are for a comp. not sure what you do with yours. buy a 1000 dollar stereo and make your own cd. im makin my own comp systems now ffrom the old 2200 and 2300  logitech. just remem music gaming tv surround ect are all diff. as far as what they do for you. except for music use the one you want for all. they wont be as loud. if you want your music ill do you one of my log. but it can be used for alll but i use for music. for the others just turn it down. p.s. the klisph 2.1 is just bass. why dont you try the corsair p2500 . its 235 watts more than the rest. but i dont know since i havent lisentend to it. i will though. luck to you

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 9
remem the klisph 2.1 and th log z623 are loud . and you can ajust the volume. the klisph is all bassbut can be turned down some what/ so for a comp they are good. i just do very loud music. and both will do tv. play staystion. i pod and all the others. they are good for computers. they are just a newer model . if they are close to your computor or tv  or anything they are plenty loud. im just a loud freak. the only difference is the klisph 2.1 is they have a heavy bass. it takes away from the other sound that you would miss. just got to the store and listen to them. pronlem is most wont let you turn it all the way up; and you need to do this. i have a brand new pair of logitech z623 brand new in the box brand new. they have all the sound so that you hear the bass sub and the tweet so that they sound so that all are in unison so they work in every part so the sound from the subwoofer to the tweeter and all work together so the sound all works as one unit and you dont have to worry about any sound. they are all in the set up so all  the sound match.all the sounds match for a perfect sound.the tweeteer sub ect. work to sound exelent. they are brand new and still in the origanal box. they sell for $ 179.00 with tax. im sellin them for half the price brand new in the box. they woud make a very good chistmas present  if i dont sell them first to some one else. my e mail address is jshadygrov@aol.com          they are 200 watt speakers but you can turn them all the way down

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 9
hey a1strank when i said about the speakers the klisph and logitech z623 are 200 watts. for you they are prob fine. im sorry i listen to very loud and use comp to listen to. you dont prob need the 200 watt so you just turn it down and the klisph just turn the bass down to what you like. they are good. im just old rock and roll and am use to gibson and fender and marshall amps. so what i said was just for me . im sorry about that. i have a brand new set of logitech z623 brand new in the box , full warranty . they do comp. tv. i pad , play staytion ect. there on e bay my name is aalindsay and its 90.00. best buy there 159.00 and with tax 179. its really just a matter of what pleases you . e mail me if you want. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back