SMSL SU-9N vs SMSL D300 vs Loxjie D40
Oct 16, 2022 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

CRNA2B

New Head-Fier
I am trying to decide between these 3 DACs for my setup and having a tough time deciding so I thought I’d ask you folks.

I have an incoming Rebel Amp (Class A) and will be pairing with the following headphones (Focal Clear, Focal Elegia, Beyerdynamic DT1990Pro, AKG K712Pro, Status Audio CB-1). I also have an Xduoo MT-602 hybrid tube amp I use occasionally that I intend to pair occasionally.

My musical tastes are pretty eclectic and include: female vocalists, chill, cello, rock, electronic, 80s, alternative.

I love the idea of a great chip in the D300 and a wide sound stage but seemingly at the expense of cheapened casework.

I love the idea of the different sound filters (tube, etc) on the SU-9N and possibly more detail while maybe still retaining a decently wide soundstage.

As for the Loxjie D40, it sounds fantastic on A/B comparison videos but I wonder more about its longevity?

Given my equipment and tastes, which do you all think would likely be a “best fit” for me of the three?

Thank you for the guidance.

Oct 19, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 4
Have you seen this this video?

As for the cheapened casework for the D300, my $0.02 is that once you dial it in, it will be set it and forget it. They have also offset with dedicated buttons for the most common functions and left the dial for 'tweaking'. I don't own one, but I have been researching, FWIW.

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 4
I have the SU-9N and the filters are gimmicky and not worth being a part of the purchasing decision.

Oct 20, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 4
I have the SU-9N and the filters are gimmicky and not worth being a part of the purchasing decision.
I chose the SMSL SU-9N and I do like it but agree that the sound color options have minimal effect on sound to MY ears using a Acurus line preamp and a Hafler D500 feeding a pair of B&W DM602S3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back