Smoke and Mirrors. A love hate album
Feb 22, 2015 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

SeEnCreaTive

500+ Head-Fier
I've been a long time fan of Imagine Dragons (mid 2011). Night visions being a great album, and their older stuff being even more amazing

Knowing this my girlie surprised me with pre-ordering the new album on CD for me.

Went home, got my Uber stack and T50RPs ready and listened to the whole thing.

Their sound, being a mix of rock, electronic with the big sound, and that perfect touch of quirkyness they have is evident, but gets greatly over shadowed in many songs by the overly full and prodominant instruments and scynth.

I love the album, but my judgment is partial, since I'm an avid fan.

But I can see where people and critics have their dislikes. The album is overpowered and full of things that were obviously intended for live concerts. (Much like The Scripts new album) Their quirkyness is still there, but is mixed with generic song progressions, and garnished with over full presentaion

I don't think it's the Dragons fault, knowing how mainstream music works, I think it was safe to say it was production and managers fault. At the release of Night Visions, the Dragons werent too big yet. Alowing for their true personality to shine, but now full mainstream, it makes for the band having good ideas for songs, and the big budget bosses watering them down to sound more mainstream, have a live concert orientation, and to give the album as a whole a certain "tone" or "feeling"/or sound (not a bad thing, but can be taken too far). This make for each song sounding similar and generic. The big stadium concert intention really doesn't go well with album versions.

I think as a whole the album went and had the same problems as the new Script album does. They had amazing almost spoken word lyrics and ryhms and presentation in previous works, only to go with generic beats, clap backs, and a sound that would be alright in concert, but terrible on album.

As many critics have stated, the songs lose personality to much too packed in sound, generic and too similar sound from song to song, mixed with concert oriented direction. (But lucky for me kept that bit of quirkyness)

Of course once you learn all the songs, its easy to see how unique they are. The trick though, is making each song sound unique for first time listeners, but similar enough to maintain your bands sound. The Dragons had it mastered in most previous works, but not sure if they accomplished that with Smoke and Mirrors

In short it was a good idea, Im extremely happy it still has a bit of the quirkyness, but is overshadowed by managers and producers being afraid of risks.

Its the COD/Assassins creed syndrome. Modern shooter after modern shooter, after same old assassin after same old assassin. Good, but tiresome and generic, and people gobble it up. I mean idk if that is the case, with the Dragons here, but their previous works makes me believe producers/managers are at fault

Buuuuuut I still love it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back