Small silent PC with S/PDIF co-axial input
Jan 26, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #16 of 16
Use SSD instead of a NAS. No moving parts, no network needed and very easy to transport.
That's what I was thinking. That's also why I want to use a silent mini PC, they are really small and well - silent. If the digital circuit in the Marantz is of the same quality as the CD and h/phone circuits then using flash drive sticks and by using Aomei partition assistant there should be no problem..

I did get an email from someone who saw my post on AA he runs large data simulations for work and goes through 20 hard drives each year. His wife is a senior computer engineer. They use SSD drives for processing and HDD for back-up. My problm with that is that HDD has moving parts - just how long are they going to last?

Their comments on SSD drives are interesting bearing in mind that they are talking about use in commercial operations:
Samsung - FAST but not very durable - crashes a lot.
Intel - almost as fast as Samsung but more durable and reliable , crashes a little bit.
Western Digital - medium speed with no crashes and has never failed.
Crucial - medium speed with no crashes and has never failed with about 1000 times the workload of the WD drive - recommended.
Seagate Nytro - Expensive indestructible even with multiple even with multiple computers running it 24/7. Not recommended for home use.
Media Monkey is a recommendation.

If the flash drives fail I can always use the mother drive to replace - any other thoughts please say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back