Sleek SA6 Tips/Accessories
Aug 28, 2008 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Infoolio

New Head-Fier
So I'm probably going to buy the SA6, but I'm wondering what other stuff I should think about along with the phones themselves. SA has bass and treble tuning port packs but I'm not really sure how those work (only thing I've read is the SA6s can have enhanced bass by poking a pin through the stock one?) or are worth buying. Also, I hear the stock SA6 tips are decent, but are others recommended? E.g., Comply seems to be fairly popular. I think I would prefer gel/silicone over foam, though this is my first IEM so who knows.

SA6s are pretty much lock at this point, but I'm still pondering the ER4Ps. Does anyone own or has anyone tried both of these and can comment on soundstage/comfort? I know ER4P has better isolation, but I've also read it is lacking in the bass department. I'm trying to run unamped out of a D2 (that may change
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Cheers.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 4
First, it all comes with the SA6s, the bass ports, treble tubes, etc. No need to buy accessories.

Second, I owned both the ER4Ps and now own the SA6s, and I sold the former a while ago (to buy the FS Atrio, which I then sold to finance the Sleeks).

Comfort-wise, the Sleeks have very good silicone flanges, but if you use foam, they are about the same as the Etys. Sound-wise, the Sleeks are a more versatile, balanced IEM, no need for an amp, etc. ER4Ps have that "low key" bass which isn't non-existent, but not on the same level as the Sleeks. Plus, the Sleeks just have a more balanced, less antiseptic sound sig.

Choose the Sleeks, in my view.

At one poiint, I picked up a pair of Altec-Lansing im716s for $20 (they are normally around $100), which are made by Ety and have the same drivers as the ER4P, or close to it. So when I need detail at the expense of balance, I do use them. But only amped.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply tstarn. Didn't know that those bass/treble ports came with the Sleeks. I see you have the X10s...how do you like those compared to SA6? They're really out of my price range now that the super deals of the past few days are over, but is the bass really that much better than the SA6s? How's the comfort? Several members have said they're more comfortable (possibly because the X10s have gel, instead of silicone, tips?).

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 4
The X10s are very nice, worth $200, but not $350 in my view. I will say, the gels are everything people say they are. If silicone materials don't bother you (normally, it does bother me, but not this time), then it could be a problem. But for me, using the medium stock single flange gels is like wearing nothin at all, to quote an ad (can't remember which one). I am about to try them on the Sleeks too, see if they offer the same seal/comfort.

SQ-wise, the Sleeks and Images are very close, different. There is a whole thread comparing the two if you want to check it out. I am keeping both, and would probably keep the Sleeks if I had to choose, mainly for the modularity, although those gels are nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back