Skullcandy Titan Review: Head-Fi Sanity Check
Aug 28, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #31 of 40
That's a great gift. I think everyone deserves the opportunity to hear something "real" because Skull Candies are far from it. I wish more people could have that chance to see what they have been missing. I honestly think I was 12 when I saw an review in Maximum PC for the Shure E4c and then later that year I had some money and thought, what have I been missing? Well a lot. I was missing more than I could have imagined.

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #33 of 40
Might be a dumb question. How does changing the supplied silicon tips to the comply t400 change the highs? I have these and doing so attenuates the highs-not to my liking. I can't use the supplied silicone tips as the small is too small and the medium is just  tad too big!

Thanks.

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #34 of 40

Quote:
Might be a dumb question. How does changing the supplied silicon tips to the comply t400 change the highs? I have these and doing so attenuates the highs-not to my liking. I can't use the supplied silicone tips as the small is too small and the medium is just  tad too big!

Thanks.

Porous foam tips tend to subdue treble intensity in many in-ears, not just Titans. There are a couple of explanation as to why floating around but I can't remember any of them. If you have trouble finding a good silicone tip size, I would try picking up a nice variety pack like that of the MEE M11+. It's on the pricy side but you might find a tip that works very well for you.

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #35 of 40
Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but eBay had a daily deal straight from Skullcandy of the 2011 Titan model at a tasty price - $19.99 shipped. I grabbed a set and compared them to the IEM I had laying around: MEElectronics M9P and Head-Direct RE2. Compared to both of those sets, I strongly prefer the Titans for their sound quality (though not for comfort).

VS. the RE2 - this comparison isn't even fair. I've never amped the RE2 which will supposedly help, but through my Galaxy Nexus they sound lean and shrill. The Titans are full and fun - a little heavy on the low-end, but I can EQ that out.

VS. the M9P - The M9 presents a big but controlled low end, but the mids are just dirty and recessed. The Titans manage to be bass prominent while still pushing the mids forward (where I like them). The M9 is more comfortable but the Titan is more of a good thing otherwise.

@ $19.99 these are a very good IEM. They remind me of my PortaPros.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:
One little nitpick... the ink'd DO have L/R indicators, they're just very small. Look at the strain reliefs closely.

The current version has them in the strain reliefs. The old version did not have them at all. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #38 of 40
@ljokerl
Do you think the brand name 'skullcandy' has something to do with it not being respected?

I mean, if I hear than name, I just can't take it seriously.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #39 of 40
Quote:
@ljokerl
Do you think the brand name 'skullcandy' has something to do with it not being respected?

You know - if the product was the equal to Heir Audio - we'd probably LOVE the name! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #40 of 40
Quote:
@ljokerl

I don't think it's the name itself - there are other silly/juvenile brand names that are popular and well-respected on head-fi. Brainwavz comes to mind. It's more the reputation for crappy-sounding products that Skullcandy has accrued over the past half-decade. Even with the recent releases sounding decent it's going to take a while for that to change. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back