Simple way to run foobar2000 on Mac
Jun 6, 2009 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

terrymx

Headphoneus Supremus
I guess most of the advance computer users already know how. Someone brought it up so I thought of trying to try it out. Not much advantage since as far as I know Mac is already bitperfect with the sound output. And running foobar2000 under Wine will lose some performance. Still if you want to do it, here's how.

Instructions:

1. Download Darwine
You will need to install Darwine for OSX which is a free software to allow running Windows softwares on OSX desktop.

2. Enable CoreAudio
Run "winecfg.exe" in the folder "Darwine -> Sample Winelib Applications". Wait for the Wine Configuration window to pop up. Click on the "Audio" tab, a window will pop up saying it has selected the audio setting for you. Make sure the "CoreAudio" is checked, click Apply.
(click for larger view)

As you can see it let you chooses sample rates and bit depth as well. If you changed the output device in System Preferences -> Sound option, you will have to exit and re-open Darwine for the change. Digital output should work too.

3. Install foobar2000
Run the Foobar2000 setup file and install. You may optionally want to install it to C:\program files\foobar2000, instead of to the desktop by default. Then if you want to access to your virtual "C:" drive which is hidden, right click on the Finder icon, choose "Go to Folder..." and type:
~/.wine

4. Make a shortcut of foobar2000.exe
Right click on foobar2000.exe and choose Make Alias, then drag the new shortcut to the desktop.

Optionals:

Darwine comes with the Trix.app to help install Windows drivers, apps, fonts and all that. "Desktop Integration" in "winecfg.exe" allows you to use Windows skins so you can use the "msstyles" file from one of these Leopard skins to make foobar2000 look more Mac like. Unfortunately, the Windows fonts are really ugly and not smooth in Darwine and I don't know how to make it look better.

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks a bunch!
biggrin.gif

This may indeed come handy for those not all familiar with Wine, but want to run MS Windows applications like Foobar2000 on their Mac.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 10
While attempting to Enable CoreAudio,
I was unable to open "winecfg.exe", There was an error.

"Unable to locate X11.app. Make sure X11 has been installed."

Help me out?

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 10
^ The error message is quite clear, isn't it? "Make sure X11 has been installed."
wink.gif

You find it (99% sure) on the Mac OS X DVD.

Welcome to Head-Fi!

Jul 14, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
is there a new and updated way to do this? anyone running the new fb2k on mac?

I'm running it right now. It's almost the same procedure.

1. Install Wine.app and WineBottler.app
2. Open Wine.app and update it
3. When Wine.app is is updated, a MenuBar icon should be installed in the upper right corner of your screen (icon surrounded by red in the screenshot below)
4. Click on the Wine.app MenuBar icon and click on Winetricks
5. Wait for it to do its thing
6. Download Foobar2000 onto your Mac
7. Click on the Wine.app MenuBar icon again and click on Control Panel
8. Double-click on Add/Remove Programs and press Install
9. Search the Z: drive for the Foobar2000 installation .exe file (make sure you search for Program files of .exe extensions instead of the default Installation Programs)
10. Run through the Foobar2000 installation process
11. Go to Finder.app and navigate to where the Wine.app files are stored on your hard drive (in my case it's under Mac OS X/Users/Michael/Wine Files)
12. Go through the folders: drive_c/Program Files/foobar2000 and create an alias of foobar2000.exe to create a shortcut to the program
13. Place the foobar2000.exe.alias shortcut anywhere on your hard drive for convenience (I put mine in the Applications folder)
14. Double-click on the alias to open the foobar2000 app!

(image missing)

I hope this helps.

Jul 14, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm running it right now. It's almost the same procedure.

1. Install Wine.app and WineBottler.app

2. Open Wine.app and update it
3. When Wine.app is is updated, a MenuBar icon should be installed in the upper right corner of your screen (icon surrounded by red in the screenshot below)

4. Click on the Wine.app MenuBar icon and click on Winetricks

5. Wait for it to do its thing
6. Download Foobar2000 onto your Mac
7. Click on the Wine.app MenuBar icon again and click on Control Panel

8. Double-click on Add/Remove Programs and press Install

9. Search the Z: drive for the Foobar2000 installation .exe file (make sure you search for Program files of .exe extensions instead of the default Installation Programs)

10. Run through the Foobar2000 installation process
11. Go to Finder.app and navigate to where the Wine.app files are stored on your hard drive (in my case it's under Mac OS X/Users/Michael/Wine Files)
12. Go through the folders: drive_c/Program Files/foobar2000 and create an alias of foobar2000.exe to create a shortcut to the program

13. Place the foobar2000.exe.alias shortcut anywhere on your hard drive for convenience (I put mine in the Applications folder)
14. Double-click on the alias to open the foobar2000 app!

I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back