Shure se425... What?
Aug 22, 2017 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

seaweed

New Head-Fier
So I just got a pair of these off eBay along and the shure mic cable to replace my old SL215's. I'm shocked at just how inaccurate and underwhelming these sound in the mid and upper range for instruments. There seems to be a lack of transients and lot of bloat in the midrange. Sort of sounds like I'm listening through a tin can.

I listen to a lot of acoustic music like jazz. I did read a lot of reviews before going with these so I was aware of a rolled of high end, along with the typical lack of bass. But maybe I'd be better off with the pinnacle or 1more?

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 6
So I just got a pair of these off eBay along and the shure mic cable to replace my old SL215's. I'm shocked at just how inaccurate and underwhelming these sound in the mid and upper range for instruments. There seems to be a lack of transients and lot of bloat in the midrange. Sort of sounds like I'm listening through a tin can.

I listen to a lot of acoustic music like jazz. I did read a lot of reviews before going with these so I was aware of a rolled of high end, along with the typical lack of bass. But maybe I'd be better off with the pinnacle or 1more?

I've red so much about the Pinnacle, so I ordered it, and I'm waiting. I do have the SE215, which is amazing for a 'fun' music and "boomy", so as the Xiaomi earphones Pro HD, which should be really close to 1more 3. I don't like those. Feels "empty", and the highs hurt my ears.

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 6
The SE425 are one of my long time favourites, so I think you may have a faulty cable or bad synergy with your setup.

What are you using them with?

For around the same price the Oriveti New Primacy blow the SE425 out of the water though, better detail and extension on each end with excellent coherency and balance.

Aug 23, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 6
The SE425 are one of my long time favourites, so I think you may have a faulty cable or bad synergy with your setup.

What are you using them with?

For around the same price the Oriveti New Primacy blow the SE425 out of the water though, better detail and extension on each end with excellent coherency and balance.

I'm just surprised with their sound signature. It's like the treble and bass were EQ'd off and midrange bumped up. They do portray detail, but they are very recessed. and not very accurate considering these are technically for musicians. For example, listening to a recording of me playing my own guitar, my apple ear buds give a truer representation of the guitars timbre.

The Oriveti looks nice. I might consider those.

I suspected there might be a problem with the 425's, but I tried another cable and a different source. I plan to use iems on the go with my iPhone 6s Plus, so I don't expect the world, but I don't want the hassle of a dac/amp in my pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back