shure 846 + ipod classic/video 5th gen
Nov 1, 2014 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rodzishot

New Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of shure 846..being new to it all, I have never own such awesome pairs of earphones.however I am not sure if the earphones are spoil, but every time I plug it in to my iPod classic and no sound is playing, I hear a hissing sound which disappears when I start to play a song, I get this too when plplugging it in to my MacBook pro 15 inch just that the hissing sound disappears after a while. I get it too on my HTC one m7 but it's not a lot and disappears to after a while...

So my question is , is my shure 846 spoil? Or is it something to do with the impedance or power supply not being powerful enough?is there a way to fix this?

If so,can you explain to me this stuff? And would I be able to fix this with a an amp?
ps: I am on a budget haha I just spend a bomb on these earphones and can't afford anything else for now.

Cheers and thx for your advice in advance!:)

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 6
I doubt they're faulty, your Shure 846 have a super low impedance of only 9ohms, this makes them highly sensitive to background noise or hiss. So rest assured they're not faulty or spoil as you put it. The best thing you can do is find a source with low noise floor and the best place to find out is by asking what the other guys are using.

I'm going to give a link to our 846 thread, you ask the members what sources they're using and mention your budget ( the amount you can spend)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/675219

I will also add an amp can correct the hiss for you attached to your current sources, again ask the members what they're using.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 6
I use an iPhone 6 as my main source, and I get no hissing. I also use them on my PC and I get no hissing either. However, it does hiss when I plug them into my old PC, which has an older on-board sound card. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Yea , when I use my HTC one, it's barely there..as compared to my old iPod classic..so I guess it's not faulty or anything?:)
I doubt they're faulty, your Shure 846 have a super low impedance of only 9ohms, this makes them highly sensitive to background noise or hiss. So rest assured they're not faulty or spoil as you put it. The best thing you can do is find a source with low noise floor and the best place to find out is by asking what the other guys are using.

I'm going to give a link to our 846 thread, you ask the members what sources they're using and mention your budget ( the amount you can spend)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/675219

I will also add an amp can correct the hiss for you attached to your current sources, again ask the members what they're using.

I see so I guess it's normal? Thx a lot for the info!!:) good to know it's not spoiled or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back