Shunyata Hydra Model-8: IMPRESSIVE !
Nov 5, 2005 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Shunyata Hydra Model-8 power distribution center, this is the fisrt object that realy clean everithing... IMPRESSIVE ! Better tha any Accuphase or Burmester.

The unit needs a special power cord.

Best!
Nicola

Nov 5, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The unit needs a special power cord.

Do you know what is special about this Power Cord? The Connectors?
Is it included in the price?

TIA

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
Do you know what is special about this Power Cord? The Connectors?
Is it included in the price?

TIA

There are differents power cable you can use with the Hydra, each one has a different price not included in the filter. These are special 20A connector, no common power cable can be used in the Hydra Model-8.

You can find all the news in the home page of Shunyata.

I have the Copperhead power cable that is very good.

Best!
Nicola

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 15
I had one of these units for about 6-months last year. I miss it as I feel it did some nice improvements to my system, and the lack of it is missing some intangibles that leave the music flatter and less involving.

Congrats on the new find Nik. Enjoy your new sound with the new conditioning.

Nov 9, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 15
You are so right Nik, but you can do much better with a higher-end Shunyata cable. When I got the Hydra, I started with a Copperhead but then went up to a Taipan Alpha and now I use is a Python Alpha. I may trade in the Python for the new Taipan Alpha Helix. The Helix cables are supposed to be really something, and my dealer says that the lowest lever Helix--the Taipan--is so good that you might not need to go higher. I really think that the Hydra has a wonderful impact on the sound by letting very high current through without the junk.

Cheers.

Nov 9, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
You are so right Nik, but you can do much better with a higher-end Shunyata cable. When I got the Hydra, I started with a Copperhead but then went up to a Taipan Alpha and now I use is a Python Alpha. I may trade in the Python for the new Taipan Alpha Helix. The Helix cables are supposed to be really something, and my dealer says that the lowest lever Helix--the Taipan--is so good that you might not need to go higher. I really think that the Hydra has a wonderful impact on the sound by letting very high current through without the junk.

Cheers.

I have tried many cables even the Python or Anaconda... but I prefer the Copperhead. The most expensive and BIG cables are surely better for powering big amplifiers...

I have also tried the Antares interconnect, very good, the best bass from a cable, but not as transparent as my Shinpy...

Best!
Nicola

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 15
Reading your post this morning made me go back and look at the Hydra because I started doubting whether I said the right thing about the cable powering it. I was wrong. I have a Taipan Alpha 20A on the Hydra, not a Python. The Taipan is more similar to the Copperhead, and does not have the thick (but more flexible) sheilding around it. I remember now that when I bought the Python I did not think it added as much of a difference on the Hydra as it did on my 500W 2-channel amp, which sounds much better with the Python. In my head I thought there were two of the Pythons back there but it is only one.

I have not tried any Shinpy or Antares products, but I just wrote way too much in another thread about some new Crystal Cable products (ICs and power cords) that I put in last night. The ICs are incredibly transparent and the power cables really seem to do a great job--I was only comparing them to stock cables, but still the difference was big.

Ciao

Nov 9, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 15
Good!

Best!
Nicola

May 8, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 15
You guys are the best! Every time I start looking on the Internet for information about an audiophile product, I get really frustrated reading the leading reviews, as they never seem to say anything negative about the products they review - perhaps because they are afraid of losing advertising.

At present, I am looking for power conditioning. Your comments about the Shunyata Hydra 8 have been very helpful, and have given me some real guidance by real users.

Many Thanks!
k1000smile.gif

May 13, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmarshl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are the best! Every time I start looking on the Internet for information about an audiophile product, I get really frustrated reading the leading reviews, as they never seem to say anything negative about the products they review - perhaps because they are afraid of losing advertising.

At present, I am looking for power conditioning. Your comments about the Shunyata Hydra 8 have been very helpful, and have given me some real guidance by real users.

Many Thanks!
k1000smile.gif

You might also want to check out the Running Springs Audio products. I just bought their Jaco power conditioner and its a nice improvement over my PS Audio P300. It comes with a 20A power cord made for Running Springs by Cardas. I also currently own PC by PS Audio, Richard Gray, and MIT. The Running Springs products seem to preserve the dynamics of the wall outlet while providing a black background for the music.

May 13, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might also want to check out the Running Springs Audio products. I just bought their Jaco power conditioner and its a nice improvement over my PS Audio P300. It comes with a 20A power cord made for Running Springs by Cardas. I also currently own PC by PS Audio, Richard Gray, and MIT. The Running Springs products seem to preserve the dynamics of the wall outlet while providing a black background for the music.

Thanks, I will check into RSA. I currently have a PS Audio P500.

May 13, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 15
Do you guys plug power amps into the Hydra too? My dad is looking at some basic power conditioning and we are looking at a Hydra-4 (don't have that many components to plug into). The poweramp is rated at 350W/8ohm driving 90dB floorstanders. Will I experience any lack of dynamics as a result?

Also, would it make sense to replace the actual power snakes first before adding the Hydra?

May 14, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #13 of 15
Connecting up my first Shunyata product was compeltely amazing. Total quiet like I had never heard. The so-called "digital edge" was gone, and things just fell in to place. And that was just with a Hydra-6 (which used to have a little different design than the Hydra-8).

Once the Hydra-8 arrived, I began connecting items to it one by one. The sound got better and better. But there was something I could not figure out until I connected my amp (Classe). Then it all just clicked. The bass caught up with the rest of the music and was just surprisingly relaxed and...more musical.

The biggest surprise for me came right after usign the Hydra-6 for a few weeks. Disconnecting it was a shock. The music just fell away, the noise crept in, and I literally found myself spending less time listening. Good thing the Hydra-8 was on order...!

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys plug power amps into the Hydra too?
Also, would it make sense to replace the actual power snakes first before adding the Hydra?

Yes, do plug amps into this at the same time. (see above). As for starting down the road of power conditioning, it's a tough call, but getting the Hydra-4 first might well be the best place to start.

May 14, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks bhjazz. Judging from your experience, I'm guessing the differences between the models go beyond the different number of outlets and surge protection.

May 14, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 15
Oh my. Yes. most of the info is definitely on their website, but the '4 and '6 models used to use a different type of bus bar. Now it looks like they use the same CDA-101 solid copper units. The 8 also has the noise reduction compound inside, whereas the '4 and '6 do not. Lots of other small differences as well. Without looking like a total geek here, each unit I used seemed to impart a different sound to my system. The '8 is definitely quieter, though.

I currently am using a Python Alpha with my '8.

Pretty neat stuff. And their client list is quite impressive, as well. I mean, geez: Skywalker sound? Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back