Should i upgrade my soundcard or buy A good DAC
Oct 31, 2004 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Exileru

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I just have a question about should i upgrade my current soundcard to 1212m or buy a good DAC. Which one will improve more the sound quality. Im using the Audigy Platinum.Any suggest? Thanks

Oct 31, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 6
You'll notice a big improvement in sound quality either way, however if you want to get a DAC you'll need to get another source for digital output for bit-perfect playback (the Audigy's are especially bad for messing with the audio). IF you only want to spend ~$200 then the EMU will probably sound better, but if you want to spend more than a DAC would probably be a better value.

Oct 31, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 6
Most pro soundcards (Not too sure about the EMU's) have nice digital-in and digital outs, as well as inputs for more 2-channel music devices. This means that you can plug in your CDP to your sound card, and then choose between listening to something through your computer or through your CDP.

I know for a fact that all of the high-end M-Audio cards do this (and I suggest these cards over any of the high-end creative cards, they aren't as good as everyone says here!) - so you may want to check out the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 or the Delta 1010LT.

Oct 31, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 6
If you're going to go the external DAC route, it'll be more costly. You'd need a good soundcard with digital out like the emu 0404 anyway, a nice digital cable preferable glass toslink, and preferably some power conditioning or the noise of your computer is going to affect your DAC if it's plugged into the same outlets.

I wouldn't bother with a DAC unless you can spend 600-1000.

Oct 31, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 6
A "good dac" will cost you upwards of $1000.
Pick your poison.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back