Sharp MD's: DR7 Vs. MT770 anyone?
Apr 23, 2003 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jlo mein

In some place that's not Canada ....the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
http://www.minidisc.hk.st/

this website was brought to my attention as a cheap place to get MD units imported (anybody ever bought from there? trying to find out if its legit)...

They have the DR7 for $279US, but i noticed they also have the MT770 for only $199US.

Right now i have roughly $100US sitting in my paypal account. It wouldn't be too hard for me to make a quick $100, but would it be worth it to spend the extra time to earn another $180 for the DR7?

I noticed that the DR7 is 8mW per channel, while the 770 is only 5mW per channel. Also, the selling point of the DR7 is that it utilizes the "1 bit amp" thingy.

I guess i'm asking, does anyone know if it would be worth it to spend the extra $80 for the DR7's special features and specs?

Apr 23, 2003 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 5
The two units appear very close. Not surprising, given that the DR7 is essentially an update of the 770.

If you can afford it, theres no point dissecting this thing to death- buy the DR7 and don't even worry about it. End of story.

Otherwise, personally I'd still lean towards the unit that has the best sound, especially if if you're only saving $40 or so(facting in shippping, tax etc). But as the price differential moves above that, cash savings are very had to ignore.

That's my logic - but then again I use my MD almost exclusively for jogging, so I'm not gonna die is I don't have that last up-to-the minute ounce of hi-fi.

If you have specific needs/pet peeves, then some factors to consider are:

Pros for 770 instead of DR7
- price
- slightly smaller size (thinner)

Pross for DR7 instead of 770 :
- better sound (not that the 770 is bad, though)
- extremely sturdy construction (some question the reliability of 770)
- track name display on main unit ((770 shows track # only on main)

Apr 23, 2003 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 5
I've had both, and if this is the only MD unit you're going to spend your hard-earned money on, you really should get the DR7.

The MT770 can leave people dissatisfied at times: can't do certain things without the remote, amp is neither as good as the 831 nor the DR7, the MT770 feels solid but the DR7 seems to be stronger.

I think Francis' price ($199, $279) includes shipping though, which means Audiocubes' $249 + $18 shipping isn't that much cheaper. Happy shopping!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back